How do I take care of fiddler crabs!? HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sweetheart

AC Members
May 31, 2008
MS
Does fiddler crabs need sand or rocks? Do they need air and water? What do I feed them? can they live with fish? Will they eat the fish? Is a 2.5 gallon tank too small for them to live and breed in? Please tell me a appropriate tank size for them to live in. Would they breed also if they live with fish? Do they need sand to breed and dig caves,Or can they do that in rocks? Last, Do I need to cycle the tank before adding fiddler crabs? I would like to know about all of these answers and also you can tell me some more information if I have not listed it above. Please help. Thanks

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Remember that they need about half land, half water. My fiddler preferred land to water most of the time. He almost never entered the water. I put a ceramic teacup in the tank and he liked to hide in the cave. I fed him fiddler pellets and he lived about a year. He shed once and ate the shell. They're very easy to care for.
That's all the info I have for you... I still miss his little crab dance, though. He liked to wave his big claw at me when I came over to feed him. He was pretty awesome.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I had a fiddler crab once too, Fidel, but I was still a very new fishkeeper, so I'm not sure of the cause of death. He molted once and ate part of the skeleton, which was kind of creepy, LOL. I kept him in a 2 gallon tank that had a rock that stuck a couple inches out of the water, which he preferred to be on most of the time. I fed him thawed out krill, which he liked.

mattmartindrift

AC Members
May 16, 2008
I have 5 fiddlers in a 29g brackish setup. It's about 80% water with a wood+sand beach for them to climb up to. All of the crabs seem very happy, constantly eating and shedding.

here's my tank, you can see in the upper right corner their little beach, and the ramp to get up there.

The male prefers to stay out of the water while the females all tend to only go up occasionally. I currently have on female full of eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store