can DIY CO2 explode?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
I have DIY co2 in a 2 liter. I am about to leave town for a few days and plan on blacking out my tank to work on some green water so i will not need the co2 for a few days. if i cap it is there any chance the pressure will build too much and explode?

thanks,
Wes

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yep. Just leave it open to vent into the air. Breweries have had stainless steel fermenters crack/blow valves off because someone mistakenly sealed them up with an active ferment inside...I don't think a 2L bottle will pose much problem.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
given time it can..... but.... it takes what 75-100 psi before it does.....

Assuming there is no blockage in your line, it can't explode. The only issue is if there is a blockage. This could be made possible if you have a cheap check valve that seizes up.

However, even at that point, there isn't much to worry about. I make homeade sodas using as similar recipe to DIY CO2, except I add some flavoring. I then seal up the bottle and let it sit. I've let bottles sit for 2 weeks without incident. The bubbles ballon out, but they don't explode. These are plastic 2L soda bottles to which I refer.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The original question the OP stated was if he blacked out the tank, could he cap off his CO2 so it wouldn't run in the tank while it was blacked out. If you seal off an active ferment in a plastic bottle, then the answer is yes, it will explode, given enough time. 2L soda bottles are good for 100+psi (ask me how I know ;) ). If you keep the co2 mixture running into the tank or just into the air, then no it won't explode.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
did mythbusters try it? We used to build rockets out of soda bottles. Lock the bottle on and use a compressor to charge it up to about 80-100psi, then slide the handle down and FOOOM, we could get them like 100+ feet in the air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store