Uknown Snail, need identified please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
ponds eat some kinds of plants
ramshorns don't unless they are starved and nothing to eat
but they reproduce rather fast with lots of food, so don't over feed, they keep the tank very clean..

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
Better or worse is all a matter of opinion. My order of preference of 'pest' snails is; MTS, Rams, Pond snails. MTS get the top pick because of their digging behavior. They stir up gravel or sand, releasing any possible toxic gases before they have a chance of becoming an issue. Ramshorns forage well, and if you have the common veriety, they don't eat living plant matter. Pond snails also don't eat living plants, but they lack the beauty of the Ramshorns, and the digging of MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail). I've got all of them, and Mystery snails too.

Ramshorns will reproduce like bunnies, given an ample food source. Don't worry about target feeding them, they are excellent foragers.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
They're just regular ramshorns. All ramshorns have spots when they're young, as lose them when they mature.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I like ramshorns in comparison to pond snails. They're quite pretty if you ask me and I want some of these again. I lost those to an infestation of MTS a few years back. It seems most snails tend to prey on their eggs resulting in the declining populations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store