?'s About bristlenose Nose and Clown Plecos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Alright, I bought some otos a while back to help combat my algae in my 55g tank. They did alright but seem to be letting the algae get away from them. I remember someone saying that bristlenose and clown plecos eat algae too. So I was wondering if they would get too big for my tank and if they are even worth getting for my tank? Are they hard to take care of or require some bizarre diet? Understandably they can't just eat the algae; I just need some info on them.

Thanks

wildman117

AC Members
May 13, 2008
D-M-V
both should be okay with the bristle nose getting to about 6 inches
the clown pleco stays slightly smaller and mine is about 4 inches
they both should be okay with standard offerings of wafers and blanched vegetables

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
clowns need wood in their diet..and it is best to supply that to bn's too

the bn's seem to do a pretty good job on algae.. you should easily be able to keep a pair of them in a 55(either species) make sure to supplement their diets tho.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
both should be okay with the bristle nose getting to about 6 inches
the clown pleco stays slightly smaller and mine is about 4 inches
they both should be okay with standard offerings of wafers and blanched vegetables
I have never seen a half foot long BN plec.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
BN plecos are usually 4 inches

Barbie

Fishaholic
While there are a few species of Ancistrus that get more than 4", very few of them are commonly available and not regularly mistaken for a "common" type Ancistrus. The problem with these answers is that without knowing that type of algae is causing the problem, there's no way to figure out which fish would actually be able to utilize it.

Barbie

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
While there are a few species of Ancistrus that get more than 4", very few of them are commonly available and not regularly mistaken for a "common" type Ancistrus. The problem with these answers is that without knowing that type of algae is causing the problem, there's no way to figure out which fish would actually be able to utilize it.

Barbie

:iagree: My bristlenose eats "green" algae like crazy but when I have one earlier it never touched my diatoms. What type of algae do you have?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would be more concerned about why the algae is bad. Normally, for me, a good group of oto can eliminate all algae issues. Also, what are the other fish in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store