Mystery snail eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mwelin

AC Members
Nov 18, 2007
I have two mystery snails, well, I guess I should say that I had two mystery snails. I have at least 25 mystery snails at the moment. If the buggers would stay still it would be easier to count them.

What I want to know is how I ended up with 25 (likely more) mystery snails. I know male + female = eggs = snails but what I don't get is that I've never, ever seen a clutch of eggs in my tank. There is only 3/4" - 1" of space between the water and the glass lid. We clean the tank weekly and we have NEVER seen a clutch and trust me we look. What we do see are itty, bitty white specks that appear on the glass UNDER WATER. Everything I've read tells me that these are NOT mystery snail eggs, maybe itty, bitty snails that have hatched but OMG where did they come from?

We have at least two different size babies right now. The specks on the glass that don't appear to move (just multiply) and ones that are about the size of .... something small but not that small, lol. They are maybe 1/8". They are clearly mystery snails...we have also had pond snails which we squish but these guys are definitely mystery snails. They're blue and they're the wrong shape to be anything but mystery snails and they don't squish. (Yes, we tried when we saw the first one b/c we assumed it was a pond snail.)

So, is it possible for a mystery snail to lay eggs underwater? If not, where on earth could they be laying the eggs? We wanted to remove the clutches but we can't remove them if we can't find them, ARGH. What on earth do we do with all these babies? My angel's will eat the pond snail babies but they can't eat these, we've seen them try :)

mwelin

AC Members
Nov 18, 2007
they dont lay under water. it had to lay somewhere if they are apple snails. filters lights somewhere.
That's what I thought. I just don't know where it could be! So frustrating.

The second one is blurry but that is a pencil eraser for size.

2008-06-14_0005_small.jpg 2008-06-14_0007_small.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store