Barley straw/extract

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
I've been reading about Barley straw (and the extract) being useful for clearing algaes but will it work against the dreaded Blue-green?? The only thing I've found works so far is letting it burn itself out but I'd love to speed things up if I could and erythromycin isn't available in Britain except on prescription and I have to be ill to get that!! :eek:

Any one have any idea??

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Wetman thank you :D I've never managed to find your site before but the link led straight there this time :D - its now in my favourites.
I've had a read and my little brain is now getting to work on the info - one thing I do know is that my earliest hunches about barley straw being snake oil are more than held up by the info I've just read. Most of the info in UK is distributed by those who sell it so hardly surprising that its reputed to be wonderful.

I'd love to know where the **** stuff (BGA) came from in the first place as I kept fish for many years without ever seeing it, then suddenly its taking over the tank !! :eek:

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but I had a question that I haven't been able to find a firm answer on.

Is there any form of barley straw or it's extract that can be used in indoor aquaria? My understanding is that it requires sunlight to break down before it is usable against algae?

Sincerely,
Raithan O. Ellis

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Raithan , try fishvet.com (aquarium landscapes) they have barley for the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store