Aquaclear 300/70 NOISY!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

railNtrailcowgr

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
NW Ohio
I got a great deal on a used 29 gal tank from Craigslist, went and picked it up yesterday, set it up with the cichlids and decor that came with it. Everything was fine, running smooth, and most of all quiet. I took all the cichlids to my LFS today because I an not set up to handle them (a whole 'nother stroy)...came home and proceded to change the tank over to house my glo-lites, dwarf rainbows, and rubber nose pleco.

Cleaned all the aweful green gravel out, kept the filter running to help clear the water of all the junk. Added my new gravel, scaped, added said fishys, everthing went fine. I shut the filter off to add some media and when I turned it back on it started making the worst humming noise! It sounds like an ancient air pump rattling on a hard surface. Water is circulating fine but there is a slight 'leak' from the "intake side" comeing down from the filter around the intake tube. Can anyone help me calm this thing down. At this rate I will never be able to sleep tonight!

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Sounds like something got inside it. Try shutting everything down, pull apart the filter and clean it out. Look for sand or gravel where it shouldn't be and water where it shouldn't be. Put a dab of 100% silicon on that hose leak and try it again.

railNtrailcowgr

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
NW Ohio
I took it all apart and cleaned it really well the noise seems to have stopped. Any suggestions though on how I can get the pump chamber clean? It is really mucked up and the tooth brush I use to clean filters won't fit down in there.

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
Oh, and the water flowing around the intake tube means you need to clean the media in old tank water. Squeeze the sponge out really well to remove all debris. If you don't do this now, expect it to overflow onto your floor within the next week. Trust me, this is why I don't use AquaClear.

Daniel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store