question about plant setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Might be a dumb question lol, but i recently bought a 36g bowfront and am planning on planting it, to make it easier i was going to place the plants before i started filling the tank. Regular tap water wont affect the plants right? nor will the conditioner for the water?

thanks for the help

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
-[AnThOnY]-;1482552 said:
Might be a dumb question lol, but i recently bought a 36g bowfront and am planning on planting it, to make it easier i was going to place the plants before i started filling the tank. Regular tap water wont affect the plants right? nor will the conditioner for the water?

thanks for the help
All true, but temp does effect plants (and of course---lights, ect).

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
One more question, if my like is only 20W for my tank and the plants need at least 2 watts per gallon so thats 72W of lighting, is it just as effective since my tank is right next to my window, to use sunlight to compensate for lack of lighting?

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
You aren't going to want to use the sunlight because it is way more powerful then any light you can put over your tank and you have no way of regulating it. I would put curtins over the window and pull them shut when and if the sun is directly on the tank because that much light will cause algea problems. AH Supply makes a nice light that isn't that expensive and its pretty easy to assemble (I did it myself and I am not technilogically saavy!)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually sunlight is used in some set ups(natural) and the plants regulate or control that algae.
often they sunlight in a house is limited and light may need to be supplemented.
tho in general.. you may want to avoid sunlight unless you are trying to work on a natural set up.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have found it is almost impossible to plant a tank w/o water in it. Aquatic plants do not do well out of the water. I would suggest you do the following:

- Fill the tank about 1/3 and then plant the foreground plants.
- The add more water- to get it about 2/3 full and plant the foreground plants.
- Add more water- need not be 100%- and plant the taller background plants.

Many plants may break if not supported by water.

Plants left in chloriated water may suffer from the effects of chlorine depending on the levels and how long they are left in it.

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
well im going to be putting the conditioner inright after i fill up the tank i was just wondering if by the time that kicked inthey might be messed up, but they shouldnt get messed up being in it for a day right?

and i was planning on going pretty natural on this tank, trying to make it as natural as possible, where my tank is going to be set up in my room doesnt receive direct sunlight but it receives just about enough so you can see most everything without the light

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think there is enough chlorine in any drinking/tap water to harm any plants. It is drinking water not swimming pool water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store