Angel tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
:help: I have four really good sized angels in my 125 gallon fully planted tank. The tank has been up for many years around eight years actually. All of the readings for the water are perfect. Ammonia-0, nitrite-0, and nitrate-15ish. The PH is at 7.2.Temp, is 80-82 degrees. Filteration other then the plants are three Eheim classic 2215's canister filters and one Aquaclear 500 HOB filter. Water changes are evcery 7-10 days of around 30-35 %. Of course I use Prime as a declor when doing a water change and adding water to the tank. With the angels there are a school of rainbows of around eight and various platies and tetras. Now the problem is my platies and tetras keep disappearing. Even the really good sized ones and there is never any signs of their dead bodies. My guess is that the angels and possibly the rainbows are eating them; picking them off one by one.If this is the case, what other tank mates can I put in with the angels and the rainbows.? I have some really big sunburst platys in with them and they are fine but even the platys and tetras that I thought were big enough to not get eaten have disappeared. Do I just go with some really big tetras like some big congos and really big platys or is something else happening here?

I of course appreciate any and all help to this perplexing situation.

Marinemom

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
I am sort of in the same boat as you looking for what to put with my angel. Here is what I have found so far that is compatiable with angels.
Bala Sharks
Corydoras
Gouramis
Platies
Silver Dollars
Swordtails
dwarf cichlids like apisto and geo
large tetras
rainbows

Even found where some ppl had african butterflys with there angels.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Bolivian rams, blue rams, Apisto's, keyholes for cichlids.
you can house Discus with them also but pay heed to aggression.

Corydoras are fine..shoot for the warmer variety(species)

Larger tetras..my angels leave Black Neons and Cardinals alone. tho they will eat neons and oto's/

BN's are fine with them as well as some Rasboras.

I would stay away from Balas as they may irritate the angels..Balas trend to be very active.

in large tanks you can house silver dollars but these like to school and would compete for the same territory plus they eat plants.

Geos would probably cause issues with the plants too as they like to dig. bad enough the bolivians dig craters. ;)

Marine mom. I would do a school of cardinals or black neons.

you have to be cautious with some of the other tetras as some are a bit nippy.
I have 55 with corydoras, angels and BN's I also have a tank with Black noens and Angels..I have had problems with stock of cardinals locally so I stay away from them.

I also house a single wild P Scalare with a school of Discus..and they get along fine..

Last edited:

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
The tetras I have had in with them are some large diamond tetras and rosy tetras as well. They are disappearing one by one. I would like to try some lemon tetras or even congos but only if they will survive with the angels and the rainbows. I cannot find rasboras that I think would be large enough to survive in this tank. If you have any suggestions on rather large rasboras I am open to that. I do not want to risk having silver dollars in this tank because it is a fully planted tank and I am sure they will have a field day with that feast. Maybe I can try a gourami or two. Maybe perils? I guess it is more trial and error at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Marinemom

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
with gouramis you just need to find some that are relatively calm. and you may only be able to add a single. as gouramis tend to have some aggression when there are males in the tanks.
pearl gouramis may be a good choice..I know a few folks that keep gouramis with angels.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Possibly Bleeding heart tetras? The fully grown ones I've seen are definitely big (half dollar sized).

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I've kept a large solo blue gourami with angels before, perfect combination cause neither one is an overactive swimmer. Plus their contrasting colors are nice too.

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm in the same boat. My angels have eaten all my tetras. I'm down to about 10 rummy nose out of 25 and all of my cardinal tetras have vanished.
I'm thinking bleeding heart tetras too at this point.:wall:

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Bleeding hearts might be a possibility but will they nip at the fins of my angels?

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store