Angelfish in a 55

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
In the next few months, my fiancee and I plan on getting a 55g tank. she love angelfish so we decided we'd like to make them the primary focus of the tank. Here's my question, what else can go into the tank that will neither harm or be harmed by the angelfish?

I've been a big fan of puffers for a long time so my alternate idea was to make it brackish and have some Monos instead of angelfish. that way I could put in some puffers. that hinges on my fiancee being impressed by the Monos.

Any tips comments, advice on either idea would be helpful.

BTW in either scenario, the tank would be as heavily planted as my checkbook would allow:).

thanks,
Malken

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Angels can go with larger tetras, and most bottom dwellers fine. Many people have hatchetts in as well, with no problems.

What plants are you planning on having in a BW tank?

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
I have some beautiful angels in a tanke with larger tetras..i have some neons and glolites too which i am planning to move out to their own 10gallon. There is a blood parrot in there too and some rasbora and an upside down catfish and a new cat i forgot the name of =/

you could problably put kribs in there with them, or discus.

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
What about tiger barbs? I know they're nippy but will that be a problem with a good sized group of them?

would a red tailed shark hassel th angelfish?

as for BW plants, I'm not quite sure. I was going to take care of that problem in a later post but any suggestions on that would be more than welcome.

thanks again,
Malken

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I have always loved the Angels as well. My last setup had 2 Angels, a danio (that refuses to be transferred to another tank), a red tailed shark, and a couple of puffers. Oh yeah, also some cories and plecos. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, thought don't quote me on that. The red-tailed shark and Angels were never a problem in my tank. The puffers in with Angels was very controversal as the puffers too are notorious for fin-nipping. This is something that has to be carefully observed when having puffers with Angels as the Angel fins are a great target for them. I've come to observe that the fin-nippng is an individual trait to the puffers though as I've never had a problem with any of that. Also, it was very controversal over having plecos in with them because of their flat bodies and the plecos loving the taste of the Angel/discus slime coating, not sure if that was only a pleco vs. discus thing, at any rate, I never had that problem either. That was my previous set-up. These days I have a few baby Angels (quick growing little piggies), that darned danio, the same red-tailed shark, some cories, the plecos, and some skunk botias (a great addition for keeping a snail population in check) and all seems to be hunky-dory. The shark and Angels still bear no problem to each other. I don't know how the tiger barbs would do as I've never had a good experience with them due to their belligerence (at least in my tank).
I like your idea about the mono's though, I know little about them and always loved them too, just know that when small, they need fresh water, grow a bit and need brackish, then grow out and need more salt.
HTH ;)

(Edit: due to typo's typo's typo's)

Last edited:

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
I would be careful with puffers and barbs and other known fin nippers...it can work but it can also go disasterously wrong. if you do put in fin nippers with angels then keep a close eye on it! like dangerdoll said it is more of an individual traight of most of the fish than a "if i see a fin im gonna nip it!" instinct

KateA.

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
I've kept clown loaches, upside down cats, cory cats, rams, gouramis and festivums with angels and had great luck. Apistogrammas and curviceps might work also. All cichlids will get bossier as they grow, more so as a breeding pair, tho I've never had any try to breed. I would not put any fin-nippers in there at all. The smaller fish like tetras seem to work for a while, but eventually start dying off one by one...... I've also seen a large school of neons shred a bettas fins to pieces, so no guarantees with them either. When mine got to be adult size, I usually traded them in to get back to a more peaceful tank. I like to look at lots of fish, not just a few of the same.

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
I recently realized a problem with getting a 55 g tank. I drive a very small car and can't often borrow the cars of others. my new idea is to get a 30.

I like the idea of a redtailed shark. how many Angels can go into a 30 w/ a RTS and some small algae eaters?

thanks alot,
Malken

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would put only 1-2 angels in a 30, and even that might be pushing it. Angels get really big, and really need the additional height of a larger tank.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I'll have to agree with OrionGirl. While a 30 gallon is ok but pushing it for 1 or 2, at full adult size, it's going to be especially tight with the additional shark. With this load, I would definitely say don't go with Algae Eaters but gear more towards otto's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store