Butterfly had ich but now eyes are cloudy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
My klein's butterfly had a lot of tiny white ich dots on his tail so I started medicating the tank (since I don't have a QT) The ich was going away and today the spots are all gone but his tail and eyes are a little cloudy now. What does this mean? He is still eating well and swimming around a lot.

Charlesr1958

Working DiveMaster
Oct 30, 2004
Philippines
www.chucksaddiction.com
First, medicating the entire system is a really bad idea, such medications do not single out specific parasites or bacteria and can do a lot of damage to other life forms. Removing the fish to a quarantine tank and treated will solve many issues and is just better for the fish as well.

The cloudy eye is most likely a secondary infection (bacterial) which could have been caused by the parasite or simply by having to many organics in the tank. Again, removal to a QT for treatment and doing some tank maintenance (cleaning up/water changes) will go a long way.

Pictorial Fish Disease Guide

Chuck

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I agree with Chuck`s views, as well as for any butterfly fish in the long term of things, would require however a larger tank for lots of swimming space, and extreme high water quality is a huge must as well as a nutritional diet that one may be able to provide.

Buddy

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
I agree with Chuck`s views, as well as for any butterfly fish in the long term of things, would require however a larger tank for lots of swimming space, and extreme high water quality is a huge must as well as a nutritional diet that one may be able to provide.

Buddy
I understand that they do need a larger tank and I was planning to upgrade my tank (once I move soon), but I don't have room for a QT right now and I know I need one. Unless a 10 gal QT would be ok?

Iceeeyyyy

(っ◕‿◕)っ
Jun 19, 2008
rock in water
10 is fine for a QT tank just make sure params and water are at optimum levels, my QT tank is only 20gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store