Potential Ich problem...worried about fancy goldfish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
I have a fancy goldfish and I am extremely attached to him even though I've only had him since May 30th. He started to take food from my hand on June 6th and has done so ever since and gives me what I call "fish kisses" on my fingers whenever I'm messing around in the tank.

Call me loopy or crazy, but I love this little guy to death. :screwy: He's named Koehler, named after the black guy in the pic below from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. (I already lost his smaller companion two days after I bought them; he was named Twigg and he's named after the other pirate in the pic below) :cry:.

Anyway, to the point of this. Tonight when I was feeding them, I noticed he had a white spot on one of his back fins that hadn't been there before. I examined him closer and I think it may be the beginnings of ich, but I'm not 100% positive. I've isolated him in the only container I had...a bowl, unfortunately. The only other tank I have is full of mollies that are being quartined for 3-4 weeks and I didn't want him in there with them because they already have ich (most likely) and I didn't want to risk him getting worse (if he has ich) or getting it (if he doesn't). After I moved him and finished feeding the others, I went over and noticed him moping around his bowl and he won't come up and take food from me. I know for a fact he's unhappy and I'm very, very worried about him because I'm so attached to him. I'm treating him with QuickCure and I hope everything turns out all right. I don't want to lose him. :(

Yeah, I'm very attached to this guy...I'm weird, I know. Forgive my weirdness and my venting my worries here... :(

Twigg_Koehler.jpg

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I would put him back in the main tank, cause that bowl is gonna become deadlier than ich. You're gonna need to do alot of waterchanges and aerate that bowl as well, since chemical treatments tend to lower oxygen levels as well.

There are non-chemical cures, like salt and heat. But sometimes fish will get a couple of spots and be able to overcome it without treatment.

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
Is it all right to use QuickCure with week old fry? If I do put him back in the main tank and later turns out he does have ich and end up needing to treat the entire tank, I want to make sure my fry won't be killed while trying to treat the tank.

And, btw, the bowl is only for tonight. I'm getting one or two more tanks tomorrow to be used as isolation and breeder tanks.

Preeths

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
If it is just one spot then it might just be a small injury thats healing and not ich. if it was ich you will start seeing lots of small white spots and not only one. post a picture of the fish if possible.

Put him back in the tank, bcos if he got ich in there then the tanks already infected and it does not matter whether the fish is in the bowl or not.

Salt and heat is best, dont use any other chemicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store