Ammonia Tests are now cloudy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
I have noticed that as my salinity is going up when I add the drops of the test kit it starts getting very cloudy/ sour milkish.
Is this cause the kit is getting TX'd or cause of the salt.
Salinity is 1.008~1.010.
2nd question. At what salinity would you change over to salt water test kits.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Mine Fw kit did that too, I'm not sure at what salinity though. I am using the SW test kit now for BW.

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
I keep mine @ .004-.006, and I use saltwater tests for everything. I tried using my freshwater stuff from my other tank in my brackish tank, and the results were weird: dark colors, off the chart stuff, cloudy etc etc

HTH

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
I think you will bve fine with the "both" what it usually has is 2 cards inside, one for fresh one for salt. thats the way my nitrate tester is. i use trhe saltwater card for my brackish tank..the color is much darker on the card (because the results are a darker color) so you get an accurate reading

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
Well I got an answer after emailing Hagen about their test kits. Here is their reply

"We have conducted some test to confirm whether the kit will give accurate readings for a typical brackish water salinity of 1.002 to 1.005, and it does. However, you should get the salt/fresh kit for brackish water.
Best regards,

Rolf C. Hagen Inc. "

Now my question is who keeps their brackish at 1.002~1.005?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store