substrate help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
i recently got flora base, havent placed in tank yet but after doing a little reading on forums about it have found out that it basically disintegrates after a year and gets everything dusty, so i was thinking about going with eco complete, is this a good substrate, just got a 36G bowfront planning on planting a bed of microsword and a few other taller plants in background will eco complete work good for this/.

any better substrates? help?

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
well it good but expensive and the only real advantage i see with eco compared to other planted tank substrates is that you don't have to clean it. if you don't want to spend more money on substrate you could head over to home depo and pick up a bag of Schultz's Aquatic soil. theres a picture of it over in this thread if you want an idea of what it look like. if you're fine with rinsing the substrate and would like something other than schultz's i would say look at fluorite. it a tried and true and thay now make fluorite black and fluorite black sand.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
should be fine never used it my self but it was designed for ponds and such. i'm not sure if it has any additives but if you're doing a low light tank your really shouldn't have to worry.

may i ask what are the specs for your tank (filter and lights and inhabatens)

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
For now at least a month or so its just going to be planted untill i decide what exactly i want to put in with them, i was thinking along the lines of 10 corys, but for starters im going to put micro sword and radican sword, my filter is an Aqueon for 40 gallon with 200 gallons per hour flow rate, for lighting it was the stock lighting which im planning on upgrading soon but its 20W and i beleive somewhere around 6500K

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store