10 Gallon Paludarium Inhabitants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Scientiste

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Rockville, MD
janaki.tumblr.com
hello! I'm new here and very inexperienced!

I've recently set up a paludarium in a 10 gallon tank (about 5 gallons of water). Currently it only contains flora.

I'm considering adding a fish or two - but so far the only appropriate inhabitant seems to be a betta fish. I know I am pushing it with such a small volume of water!

Anyone have any suggestions for an inhabitant?

I've researched the zebra danio and red platy - but I am unsure as to whether these fish need to be in large groups to stay healthy.

I also considered the dwarf gourami - but again, I'm not sure if I have adequate water volume (I thought maybe the surface area was the most important aspect) or if a gourami would do well alone.

Again, Im so new at this so I apologize if I'm annoying, thanks for your help!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
The dwarf gourami is fine although you could try a trio or four sparkling gouramis as a good change to their popular cousins.

Scientiste

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Rockville, MD
janaki.tumblr.com
is that too much fish for 5 gallons? per my googling skills, they reach 1.5 inches x 3 or 4 = 4.5 or 6 inches. Is that pushing it? Also, I have several designated aquarist supply stores here in Rockville, MD - would you say the Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami or Sparkling Gourami would be difficult to find?

Thanks so much!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I hate the inch per gallon rule. It's not really a rule etched on a stone and only exists a guide to "prevent" beginners from overcrowding their tanks but even that "rule" can be misinterpeted. You should be fine with four sparkling gouramis.

Sparkling gouramis are a little trickier to find. Dwarf gouramis, on the other hand, are a common sight and are available in three strains. Be very careful as the majority sold do not last for a long time considering the aftereffects from being fed with foods containing hormones to enhance their coloration and change sexes to males as males are in more demand than females due to impressive coloration.

Scientiste

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Rockville, MD
janaki.tumblr.com
They look very beautiful under the light, it seems - thanks for the advice!

What do you think of dwarf rasboras in my tank? It seems like they may be very fast swimming, so im not sure if 20" is long enough.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Microrasbora could be a possibility. I don't have the url handy, but do a google for Frank's Nano Fish. There are some interesting ideas in there fish canidates. so you have 20" lengthwise for swimming? that would be large enough I would think for some of the microrasbora. The question is, are you goign to be adding any other fauna at a later time that could eat fish?

Scientiste

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Rockville, MD
janaki.tumblr.com
Microrasbora could be a possibility. I don't have the url handy, but do a google for Frank's Nano Fish. There are some interesting ideas in there fish canidates. so you have 20" lengthwise for swimming? that would be large enough I would think for some of the microrasbora. The question is, are you goign to be adding any other fauna at a later time that could eat fish?

I do not plan to add any other fish - I will either do a trio of very small fish or one larger fish like a dwarf gourami/betta.

I'm having a little trouble finding these microrasbora at my local aquarist shop (it is very large actually) - is it common/acceptable for these shops to order fish? I dont want to resort to having anything shipped to me!

Thanks!

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Many shops will special order for you. Just ask!

Have you considered shrimp? There are many attractive small shrimp species that would thrive in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store