Bleach Solution for Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I know there was a thread on this not too long ago, but I can't find it and it's only a quick question.

What part bleach to water solution should I use for dipping large slate rocks and fake plants into bleach to remove the algae? I know this works for real plants and assume it works for rocks and ornaments....if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Thanks

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
you mean, "I was told..." all in good fun.

I just dip the rocks in there, (i guess I can set them in actually, since I'm not concerned about any plant life,) take them out, rinse them forever, and replace...

Last edited:

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Originally posted by Rocketman
rinse them forever, and replace...
Even better to let them soak a bit in a doubly strong solution of dechlorinated (or decloraminated) water.

(You will have to scrub them good with a stiff brush - one used just for your aquariums - the algae doesn't just fall off.)

KateA.

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
We bleach stuff all the time. We don't measure, tho, just "splash" some into a 5 gallon bucket and fill it up. Use a heavy rock to weigh everything down. Dump out the bleach water when it's clean, maybe rinse stuff a bit, fill up the bucket again, add a healthy dose of dechlorinator and let it sit for an hour at least before putting it back in the tank. You have to be careful not to over-bleach certain things. Silk plants and some plastic decorations can fade.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I also bleach stuff all the time as I am having a problem with BBA at the moment.

For decorations, rocks and anyhting else fake i don't measure. Just dump a bit of bleach into about 3 gals of water(half a 5g pail) and soak for the duration it takes to clean my tank. I then rinse the stuff and let it soak in some water with 2-3X the dose of prime. And rinse some more. I have never had a problem with using bleach.

For bleaching plants i use about 1part bleach -20 parts water and leave the platns in there for 1-3 mins depending on what plant it is. Stuff like java fern can take longer then delicate plants. Then again follow the rinsing and soaking.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Bleaching/sanitizing of plants:
I did this only once on Javamoss - 1:19 mix.
Left it in the water only ONE minute and then rinsed it well.
Small part of J.M decided to turn brown, but the majority showed no ill effects.

Decor, rocks (not Lava Rock), nets go right thru the dishwasher with a good rinse of clear water afterward.
Have done it like this for years.

Last edited:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
The dishwasher method... soap or no soap?

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
This thread is from 2003. I think the op has found an answer by now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store