Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessa10

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
I just have a quick question...

I have recently added a powder blue dwarf gourami (at least that's what it was labeled as and from what research I've done, it looks to be correct), to my 40 gallon tank. THe other inhabitants include black and white skirt tetras, silver tip tetras, neon and black neon tetras and a pleco. The gourami seems to be getting along wonderfully with the other inhabitants and I thought that I may be able to buy him a buddy, either another powder blue or a different species of gourami. They have beautiful fire red gourami's at the store now too, any idea how they would do together? Thanks!

mattmartindrift

AC Members
May 16, 2008
I've heard bad things about male gouramis and their inability to get along.

However, I have two male dwarf gouramis in my 29g at home and they get along just fine. It's medium planted with some driftwood.

pistolpete3521

AC Members
Mar 16, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
I just have a quick question...

I have recently added a powder blue dwarf gourami (at least that's what it was labeled as and from what research I've done, it looks to be correct), to my 40 gallon tank. THe other inhabitants include black and white skirt tetras, silver tip tetras, neon and black neon tetras and a pleco. The gourami seems to be getting along wonderfully with the other inhabitants and I thought that I may be able to buy him a buddy, either another powder blue or a different species of gourami. They have beautiful fire red gourami's at the store now too, any idea how they would do together? Thanks!
I would say another of its exact species, because as you can see, I have four and the golden gouramis usually just hang out with each other and the dwarf's usually just hang out with each other. besides molesting my snail to death of course.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I think in a 40 gallon tank 2 should be fine if there are places for them to hide and areas where they can establish territories. I have heard of people having trouble with there are 2 of the same species in a smaller tank.

-KT-

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't but if you do keep a close eye on them to make sure they aren't fighting, having the tank heavily planted will help also.

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
I just bought 4 dwarf gouramis yesterday. Put them in a 29 gl with driftwood and moderatly planted. When I added them I added a frozen cube of brine shrimp. They all hurried to the food and didn't even realize that there was 4 of them. When they finished eating I seen that I had 1 female and 1 male of the blue and 1 female and 1 male of the neon dwarfs. I sat and watched them for over 2 hrs and they all seemed to be happy they paired off and one pair went to one side and the other pair went to the other. They claimed their own little piece of paradise. I seen the 2 males sort of meet in the middle but they didn't fight they just flared at each other and went back to their women. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store