My Shrimp/Invert Hatchery

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Customer returned a 2.5g tank to work today. Figured it was time for a tank just for ghost shrimp. I wasn't to sure how they would mix with my tigers and cherry's, so i got a separate tank for them. I had to move them out of my 36g because they were eating all the fry in there. I'm still finding baby ghost shrimp in there. lol I have 5 Females pregnant, and one very big female with at least 75 eggs.

Are there color variations to the ghost shrimp? My big female has a deep blue tint, and i have some that have a yellowish and green tint and some that are clear.

Anyways onward to the pics i know you all want.

0621080353.jpg 0621080351.jpg 0621080349.jpg 0621080348.jpg 0621080347.jpg

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Good job with the ghost shrimp. I didn't realize that they bred in fresh water. I'm still learning.

Will ghost shrimp eat green spot algae? I'm thinking of adding some to my planted tank. Would amanos be better?

As for the tint on your shrimp. I don't know if this applies to ghost shrimp but I do know that with cherries the colour will intensify with a dark substrate. Could it be the colour of your background/substrate that's affecting the colour of the ghosts?

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
amanos are the best algae eating shrimp. as far as i know from stories on here, ghost shrimp will eat cherry shrimp and other smaller shrimp. beware and be aware of your ghost shrimp.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Ghost shrimp are more carnivorous than cherries and amanos. So no, ghosties won't solve any algae problems. No shrimp will bother with green spot algae. If you have green spot algae, get nerites. They will be your best friend when combatting Green spot.
As for the OP, I really like your tigers! :) What PH are you keeping them in?

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Ghost shrimp are more carnivorous than cherries and amanos. So no, ghosties won't solve any algae problems. No shrimp will bother with green spot algae. If you have green spot algae, get nerites. They will be your best friend when combatting Green spot.
As for the OP, I really like your tigers! :) What PH are you keeping them in?
thank you. what are nerites? I am keeping my tigers at 7.4 ph. its the local tapwater.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Nerites are snails that will effectively eat algae sticking on glass and plants. Especially green spot, because they have teeth that can scrape the stuff off. They also have the appetite for them, unlike other snails such as apples.
Olive nerites are a cheap and more common nerite that is available out there. planetinverts.com has other types of nerites as well. Some of them have names that don't really exist though, such as the horned nerite. But a nerite is a nerite and they all do fantastic :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store