badly injured apple snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elizabeth0321

AC Members
Apr 6, 2008
Oregon
This morning I found my apple snail on the floor behind the tank with a badly broken shell. She must have crawled out last night because I saw her in the tank yesterday morning. I put her in quarantine and she has not moved. The shell is caved in about the size of a dime, plus a crack runs all the way around the shell. I read about repairing the shell with super glue on applesnail.net but it's pretty bad.

I am really upset, Carl is my favorite snail and I've only had her about a month. The opening she crawled through is small and I was just reading a post about snails getting out and someone using press and seal to cover openings. I am so disappointed in myself I just wish I would have covered that spot. Maybe my mistake can be a lesson to someone else... seal those openings.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
sorry to here!! hope things go well. you can try glueing egg shells over the damaged area. if you do decide to try and help the little fellow dont get glue and were on any fleshy parts, just on the shell.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. Where is the shell cracked? if its not over the organs, there is a chance for survival. How sad :( I have luckily not had the experience of a snail escapee yet. I will be pulling for Carl.

elizabeth0321

AC Members
Apr 6, 2008
Oregon
RIP Carl

RIP Carl

Carl's favorite things in life were romain lettuce, blood worms and algae tablets A big snail with an adventurous spirit, she could often be seen scaling fake plants too flimsy to support her weight. She would slime all the way to the top, or until it toppled over. Carl died on 6/20/08 while on a land reconnaissance mission. She will be missed. Carl would want to be remembered as a defender of mollusk rights, seeking bigger tanks and more keeper education for snails everywhere.

carl.jpg

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I had one of my Mystery snails end up on the floor. After I found her doing it a second time I dropped the waterline and she laid a clutch; that's most likely what Carl was doing.

Carl was a beautiful snail. You obviously took very good care of her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store