making a river tank, need help with manifold

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
Okay, we are making a river tank, and I am going to use the river tank manifold design found on the loaches site. the tank is a 20L 30X12.5, and the river my natives are coming from is the Potomac River, the current is about 2-4 mph.
what size PVC and powerheads do I need??? and how many powerheads do I need??
I bought 1/2 inch pvc, is that to small?

also, where can I get the sponge pre-filter??

ron521

AC Members
Jun 3, 2008
Lustar makes a Hydro Sponge especially for attaching to powerheads and the intakes of various HOB filters, it comes with adapters to fit most sizes of intakes, and can easily adapt to other sizes.

Its widely available through Aquariumconnection.com and Bigalsonline.com, and probably many other places. They are also sold on the shelf at one of my LFS.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
is this the setup where on one side of the tank you have the intake and on the other the outflow. So you have a continuous flow going?
yes

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Don't know about the flow or the piping, but I know big als sells blue prefilter sponges that you can cut to whatever size and shape you want. They're basically big als "brand" AquaClear sponges; They come in whatever sizes AC sponges come in, but they're a bit stiffer. You can cut them to fit over a tube fairly easily.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
... I am going to use the river tank manifold design found on the loaches site.
I presume that you are referencing the Martin Theorne design posted at LoachesOnLine.

... the tank is a 20L 30X12.5, ...,the current is about 2-4 mph.
An average of 3 MPH = 4.4 Feet/Sec.

The width of the 20L which you reference is 13" wide.

Assuming that you have two inches of substrate the flow area is 1.13 Square Feet and therefore you will need a pumping capacity of 4.96 Cubic Feet/Second = 2229 Gallons/Minute = 133715 Gallons/Hour.

Check of CFS to GPM - 1CFS*7.48G/CF*60Sec/Min => 448.8GPM/CFS
=> 2226GPM necessary for your tank. OK

Either I have really slobbered up here (and any input as to where I might be in error would be appreciated) or your estimate of the velocity of the river is in significant error.
Please note that at a velocity 4.4FPS water will erode soil very, very quickly and at 5.0FPS a grass lined channel will begin eroding.

This $140 power head pumps all of 900GPH against zero head.

Should you somehow accomplish the installation of the powerheads necessary for 2226GPM required the 1/2" glued PVC fittings would become lethal projectiles. :lipssealedsmilie: :lipssealedsmilie: :lipssealedsmilie: :lipssealedsmilie: :lipssealedsmilie: :lipssealedsmilie::devil: :devil: :devil:

TR

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Jones..this is fishkeeping not rocket science.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store