Marine Discussion: SW Collection and Care Issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
This sort of goes with the rest of it so.
A lot of people out there think that it's possible to stunt a fish to the size of it's tank. With s.w. anyway that's not usually the case they don't do well under such conditions . In other words that cute little 2 inch long boston baked bean/puffer etc will grow to a 1.5 to 2 ft monster that can and will take out everything else in your tank. Always plan for the adult size and aggresion level of fish or you'll regret it in the long term.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm going to make this a sticky, see what else we can get worked in, and then we'll move the whole thing to the Article forum.

Thank you, maxilaria! :D

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
thank you O.G.! Guess you liked it?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep--I'd like to get some people to fill in around the edges so to speak--add some of the species that just won't go well in a tank. Here's my contribution:

Moorish Idols. Gorgeous fish. It's tough to get them to eat, and even those that eat seldom live more than 12 months in an aquarium--apparently a critical part of these reef grazers is being overlooked. Leave them inthe ocean.

Spanish Dancers, most nudibranchs. Most are obligate feeders are specific types of sponges that can not be provided long term in sufficent quantity--doomed to a certain death.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Got ya. Other obligate feeders
Nudibranchs- pretty much all obligate feeders on a variety of different foods . Mandrins - pods only
Crinoids,feather stars, Scallops - obligate filter feeders- see above
Sponges-Not a feeding issue but, keep em out of the air
Camel shrimp- will eat a lot of sessile inverts
Peppermint shrimp- I honestly think that there may be more than one species out there. Some of them are perfect pets others seem to have a taste for softies and other anemones.
Anemones- even really hardy anemones need some very specific care and stable conditions.
Anthias- Make sure you have a tight lid on your tank! That goes for pretty much all s.w. fish by the way. I once saw a chalk bass jump about 5 ft when it was being chased by my bi-color blenny
B-flys some of these guys are just real pains to keep do your research
Do your research well not only on the habits of the fish you're buying but of how it interacts with other critters in your tank.
:)

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Chris,

Very nice article, clear and quite thorough. No good deed goes unpunished, though, so here are a few very small comments. I was going to send them as a PM, but decided that others should be allowed to disagree.

First treat with low salinity and heat then try a copper based medication if that doesn’t work
Add a period :D :D

I'd cut comments about inverts for the moment. Rather than trying to do too much, an article that just focuses on selection, purchasing and quarantining of fish might be more digestible. JMHO.

That said, if you keep inverts in, the hermits I think of as reef safe are what is called in the trade "scarlet reef" rather than red.

There is certainly more than one species of Caribbean shrimp being sold as peppermint. Lysmata wurdemani is the "true" peppermint and has more contrast between a light body and red stripes, while L. rathbunae looks a lot like it but is deeper red and may be more ravenous. When TBS has shipped me "peppermints," they always look like rathbunae to me and are pretty obnoxious. Those individuals I knew to be wurdemani (because they were CB), looked rather different (more "pepperminty") and have been well-behaved. Another argument for getting CB livestock.

Another aspect of aquaculture that is hopefully going to take a bigger part of the market is post-larval growout (aka tank-reared). Taking post-larval fish, which would be subject to enormous mortality, and growing them in tanks gets past the problem of delaing with planktonic larvae. This reduces the harvesting pressure on the reef and gives the aquarist a wider choice of fish that are fully adapted to aquarium conditions and foods. I have only seen it online, but I assume it will be coming to a LFS near you at some time.

One other thing that may be worth including is online fish purchasing. Some would never do it, but there are a few things that make it appealing to me. First, the quality at the LFSs here is spotty. Second, I can find CB and tank-reared fish that are unavailable here. There are some very reputable places, although some can be pricey, and I haven't had any losses due to shipping.

While we're on the subject, it still amazes me that people can be such cheapskates when it comes to buying CB livestock. So you don't want to spend a few extra bucks for a fish or invert that will acclimate better, probably live longer, and will support an industry that protects the reefs ? What's up with that?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Lol, Dave thanks I added a . :). I always buy captives if I can. I'd much rather pay an extra few dollars once than the price of the critter twice. You think that I should go into more details on the hospital tanks etc? I only mentioned inverts that commonly cause problems ," well except the crinoids anyway but, most of us learn a lesson or two the hard way and that was mine,"
I nearly ended up writing a big long speil on anemones but, hey that wasn't the lesson of the day right ;)? I hope other folks will post here so that we can get a broad spectrum of experience. Some people have problems that other people with nearly identical situations never see. I suppose that just goes to show fish are people to.

wattsd

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
I completely agree with mogurnda about buying cultured fish. Its ironic that we all like to admire fish without knowing how/where the fish were captured. We all like the way they look, but we turn our heads when hearing about how they are captured (some don't even ask). Same goes for inverts and live rock.

I hope that everyone who admires their aquarium realizes they might be doing so at the expense of the natural environment.

I'm not trying to be controversal or depressing but I think we should seriously consider where we get our fish and how those fish were captured.

This topic isn't too far off from the overfishing of swordfish and tuna in the north atlantic. (don't get me started)

On a much lighter note I would like to hear more about the hospital tanks.
~d

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Great article. I only just recently heard about the cyanide capturing and thought I would do a search. Didn't really know there were signs to look for. I also thought it was interesting that these fish will appear "brighter" as well.

Thanks for this article.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store