Help - green tiger barb deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shrlycat

Registered Member
We (live-in boyfriend and I) have a two-gallon with one green tiger barb. This is the first barb we got. First we had him in a five-gallon with three tetras, but he was too aggressive, so put him in the two-gallon. We then got two more g-t barbs; they died after about a week. Water tested ok. Got one large barb (female I guess?) - the original barb seemed very happy with her -- stayed close to her and seemed to be nuzzling her; saw no aggressiveness or nipping. She died within a week. Water tested okay. Got a very small g-t barb (thinking it would acclimate better if very young); saw no aggressiveness by the original guy - new guy didn't last two days. Any idea why the original barb has survived, but every one since has died? (I use treated tap water and replace about 25% every two weeks - use Stress Coat each time and when adding new guys.)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Simply put, it's established. Whether or not you see aggression, with the low number of tigers in that tank, one will rise to dominance unchecked. You need at least a 20 for a sufficient school of tigers to avoid this problem...none can rise to dominance as they'll have to watch their backs in order to avoid being picked on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store