Freshwater moray eel question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuiltyPleasures

AC Members
I bought a "freshwater" moray eel about a week ago it's in my brackish tank which I'm going to be converting to full salt (slowly). My question is, the eel has been hiding in the lace rocks in the tank since I put him/her in there until last night I hadn't even seen it. Last night I noticed it's head sticking out of one of the rocks and was pleased to know it was alive and still in the tank lol
Tonight it's swimming all over the tank, going to the top swimming around the rocks on the bottom, pretty much going everywhere in the tank. I'm not sure how much these guys hide and if it's normal to see them out swimming at times or if something may be wrong with it. My other fish (2 gsp's and 4 adult mollies and two baby mollies are all that's in with it. They are all fine and acting normal. Water pram's are all good, did a 50 percent water change about 4 days ago, everyone's eating well just not sure if this eel is suppost to "cruise" the tank or hide in the rocks all the time.
Oh and I'm not totally sure what type of moray eel it is, the petsore didn't have the proper name for it. He/she is about 8 to 10 inchs long, slender and a light tan to pinkish color with faint markings on it. I have been trying to find a picture of it on the web but so far I'm not sure I'm finding any that look like mine. I'll try and get a photo of it when he's out again.

Thanks for any input :)
Rene

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
Your fish choice is a little awkward. GSPs aren't really community fish, and Mollies cannot be fully sw fish, so you will have to seperate them eventually. It is good that you know more about your fish than a lot of people that buy them. How did you acclimate him?

GuiltyPleasures

AC Members
Well first off, the puffers have been in the tank with the mollies for almost a year, and they haven't ever bothered the mollies, I did have 2 knight gobies in there but moved them to another brackish tank along with the two violet gobies (dragon fish) all got along well without any problems. Also I've read that mollies can go total salt, but maybe that's wrong info if so I'll move the mollies to my other brackish tank before I convert this one to full marine. As for the eel, he was in a brackish tank at the pet store, they have one brackish tank setup (which I think the owner did just for me because I'm always asking for brackish fish lol) so other than float the bag for about 30 to 45 min like I always do that was pretty much it.
I've been around fish all my life, but just in the last couple of years have I gotten serious about it. I have 12 tanks all freshwater except the two brackish tanks and have had very little trouble with any of them. I read up on every fish I buy or plan to buy to try and make sure I'm doing the right things. I also spoil them all with different foods (they all eat better than I do) Being disabled leaves me a lot of time to spend with the fish which is good for them and me :)
But back to the question at hand, do these eels spend most all the time hiding in rocks or do they come out and swim around the tanks at times?

Thank you,
Rene

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
Well first off, the puffers have been in the tank with the mollies for almost a year, and they haven't ever bothered the mollies, I did have 2 knight gobies in there but moved them to another brackish tank along with the two violet gobies (dragon fish) all got along well without any problems. Also I've read that mollies can go total salt, but maybe that's wrong info if so I'll move the mollies to my other brackish tank before I convert this one to full marine. As for the eel, he was in a brackish tank at the pet store, they have one brackish tank setup (which I think the owner did just for me because I'm always asking for brackish fish lol) so other than float the bag for about 30 to 45 min like I always do that was pretty much it.
I've been around fish all my life, but just in the last couple of years have I gotten serious about it. I have 12 tanks all freshwater except the two brackish tanks and have had very little trouble with any of them. I read up on every fish I buy or plan to buy to try and make sure I'm doing the right things. I also spoil them all with different foods (they all eat better than I do) Being disabled leaves me a lot of time to spend with the fish which is good for them and me :)
But back to the question at hand, do these eels spend most all the time hiding in rocks or do they come out and swim around the tanks at times?

Thank you,
Rene
Good. They do spend most of their time hiding. How much cover do you offer him? How big is the tank? Maybe he's stressed or hungry.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Morays are nocturnal. Also, mollies can live in full SW.

GuiltyPleasures

AC Members
From all the reading I've done, I have found that mollies can be put in saltwater but you have to do it slowly. As for the tank size and cover, it's 29 gal and I have a lot of lace rocks in the tank as well as pool filter sand and some crushed coral type sand I bought at a pet store. So the eel can go hide inside the rocks as well as bury itself under the sand or just hide out between the rocks. Lot's of hiding spots for him/her. I do plan on moving them all to a bigger tank as soon as I can get one. The puffers are about 4 to 5 inches now and have never shown any aggression to any of the other fish in the tank other than my two violet gobies, where every so often they would sneak down and bite the poor dragon's tail making it swim away in a hurry. I think the puffers would do it more in play or maybe they thought they had just found a nice fat worm lol. Never did any damage but I have moved the dragons to a bigger brackish tank along with my knight gobies and added two mudskppers to it. All is good there :)
As for the eel coming out and swiming around the tank, it was night but the lights were still on in the tank so it wasn't dark inside it.
That lasted about a half hour or so then he went back to hiding again after I put in some food.
Hope this helps :)

Rene

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
From all the reading I've done, I have found that mollies can be put in saltwater but you have to do it slowly. As for the tank size and cover, it's 29 gal and I have a lot of lace rocks in the tank as well as pool filter sand and some crushed coral type sand I bought at a pet store. So the eel can go hide inside the rocks as well as bury itself under the sand or just hide out between the rocks. Lot's of hiding spots for him/her. I do plan on moving them all to a bigger tank as soon as I can get one. The puffers are about 4 to 5 inches now and have never shown any aggression to any of the other fish in the tank other than my two violet gobies, where every so often they would sneak down and bite the poor dragon's tail making it swim away in a hurry. I think the puffers would do it more in play or maybe they thought they had just found a nice fat worm lol. Never did any damage but I have moved the dragons to a bigger brackish tank along with my knight gobies and added two mudskppers to it. All is good there :)
As for the eel coming out and swiming around the tank, it was night but the lights were still on in the tank so it wasn't dark inside it.
That lasted about a half hour or so then he went back to hiding again after I put in some food.
Hope this helps :)

Rene
How many gallons are each of these tanks?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
In suggest 75g, since the puffers require 30g ea, for themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store