Argh, Make it go away!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
50% water change. Make sure your nitrate is 5.0. Double dose flourish excel. Keep it up. WHITE AND GONE

susantroy1

AC Members
Jun 26, 2007
New Port Richey FL.
50% water change. Make sure your nitrate is 5.0. Double dose flourish excel. Keep it up. WHITE AND GONE

+1^^

Excel though Seachem will not comment publicly about it being an algaecide is indeed. When dosed slightly over the recommended amount. Some folks dose 2x the recommended amount. Vals do not do well though they seem to melt when used. but your BBA is done for..

Troy

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
if i am not mistaken he manages a fish store so the otos were probably just stock so no big deal.

mr.key

circumambulator
Dec 30, 2007
I would put in more plants, like three times as many, make most of them moderate light stem plants like hygro... in a month or so the algae will start to be visibly out competed. Make sure to do water changes often to keep the nitrates as low as possible because until the plants are well established (2 weeks) they will not be able to soak up the nitrates that fast and can be swamped by the BBA. Keep up the water changes because as the BBA dies you want to make sure that the tank is not swamped with nitrates faster than the plants can absorb it.

IME killing the algae leads to a cycle that requires algaecide on a regular basis even with water changes. The solution to algae is plants. Yes algae will grow on the stem plants and yes you should put them all in all at once for best results.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
+1^^

Excel though Seachem will not comment publicly about it being an algaecide is indeed. When dosed slightly over the recommended amount. Some folks dose 2x the recommended amount. Vals do not do well though they seem to melt when used. but your BBA is done for.
:iagree:

Be careful when you overdose the Excel, however. Some inverts don't take well to a sudden increase. Gradually up the dosage, instead.

I'm fighting a similar algae problem. Cutting the light from 10 to 8 hours has helped, as starting to overdose Excel. One thing I noticed: I pour the Excel directly onto the filter's outflow, where long strands of algae accumulate. Just yesterday I saw that the algae had turned bright strawberry red, a sign the Excel had killed it.

(This weekend, I'll be installing a CO2 unit, too. You might want to consider one, depending on your plants and lighting.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store