Hi from a real beginner

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mattduv

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2008
Hi everyone.
I'm just about to take the plunge with a FOWLR set up so just dong a bit of research before I part with any cash.
As I am new to this I don't want to over complicate things so my question is this:
Can you have a mix of live rock and dead rock in the tank and if I wanted some greenary would artificial plants be ok in there? Real plants seem pretty fiddly and I want to keep it simple as a beginner.

Also looking at getting at 27G tank. How many fish would comfortably be ok for this size?

thanks in advance

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hi everyone.
I'm just about to take the plunge with a FOWLR set up so just dong a bit of research before I part with any cash.
As I am new to this I don't want to over complicate things so my question is this:
Can you have a mix of live rock and dead rock in the tank and if I wanted some greenary would artificial plants be ok in there? Real plants seem pretty fiddly and I want to keep it simple as a beginner.

Also looking at getting at 27G tank. How many fish would comfortably be ok for this size?

thanks in advance

Hello there and welcome to AC!

Generally speaking, yes, you can use a mixture of live and dead rock...However, i would only use a higher ratio of live to dead...like 60% live / 40% dead...A depending factor on this is, is if you are wanting to use the live rock solely as filtration, and not use any other forum of filter, like a cannister filter..

Fish wise, you can get away with about 3 - 4 small to med fish..Please do read more here...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123455

and the stickies in the marine forums...

Fake plants? Well, yes, they can be used, although i dont like to see them myself, just check if they are saltwater safe before you purchase them..

By all means, any more specific questions you have, get a thread created in the marine fourm, and we will all do our best to guide you...

Good to have you here...

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007