fluval 404 and 405 ]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
I have two fluval filters both named in the title and they are leaking. I replaced the o-ring, impeller well cover and the o-rings on the locking device and they still leak. Any Ideas? I made sure they were clean where the o rings went. And they only leak when the power is off and the canister has pressure from the siphon. Any help would be appreciated.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
mott makes a good point. Can you tell where they are leaking from & are they leaking from the same place? I had a '404' (retired spare). Only changed impellar & o-ring once (7yrs.). Periodically lube o-ring, no leaks or noise. "T"

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
yeah I lubed the o-ring with olive oil which was suggested to me by a customer service rep at hagen. She also said that it had to be leaking from the canister and that without a receipt they won't fix the problem.
Was thinking about using silicone or rtv blue glue to help with the seal.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
Siliconing or gluing the motor head to the case housing to stop the leak will make routine filter maint. very difficult. Re-examine the seal area rim/fitting (hair line crack?). Check seating & clamps. Not sure what else?? "T"

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would look for hairline cracks.

Despite all the warnings you will get, I always use vaseline to seal my o-rings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store