Hello from lil miss clueless :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Renay89

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Hey all!
My name is Renay, I'm new to PROPER fish care, but not to pets. I have 2 dogs, 1 American Pit Bull Terrier X named Dolly, and 1 Toy Poodle X named Maggie (affectionately known as Maggot) 2 cats Cuda & Duster, 1 bearded dragon named Turbo, and 1 Canary without a name....

As the title states, I'm pretty well clueless when it comes to fish keeping. I've kept them in the past, but from what I've been reading lately, I was a very bad fish owner. I followed the advice given to me at the petstore and was pretty well mislead to believe some bizarre things, like the fact that 15 fish will be happy in a 10 gallon tank.

I recently acquired a 25 gallon tank and am hoping to get everything running soon. I have bought nitrate and nitrite testing kits to start my fishless cycle but have yet to buy the master kit, (I sent the boyfriend who is more clueless than me to the pet store to get the kit, wrote on the list that nitrite and nitrate testers were a must MEANING inside the kit... he just got those 2 lol :) gotta love him for trying) which I'm hoping to get within the next few days. I have a heater for a 50 gallon tank *somewhere* at my parents place, and am going to find it later on today. The one thing that I'm worried about at this moment is that the desk that my tank is sitting on wont be strong enough to hold it. I'm going to take the tank off of the desk (its empty right now) and lie on the desk to see if it holds up okay, I figure my 130lbs will be similar to the amount of weight that will be on the desk once the tank is full.

Anywho, I'm off to learn more as I've already learned LOADS here in just one day, but am anxious to know even more. I look forward to meeting you guys :D

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello...........:welcome: You also need an AMMONIA kit, the api master fresh water kit has the tests u will need, including a PH test..........:)

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
:welcome:
You will need an ammonia test kit as well, also make sure the desk you are going to keep the tank on is level and does not bow when it has the weight of the tank on it (a 25g tank weighs 210lbs).

Renay89

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Yes, I've read that pure ammonia works but may prove hard to find. I've found a new petstore where the owner is a fish guru. He sets up HUGE fresh water tanks with beautiful live plants, so I'm guessing he has all of that or in the very least knows where I can find it. I'm very anxious to get all of this under way but have to plan carefully as I could see it costing me a pretty penny in the end, a pretty penny that I don't necessarily have lol :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
how does one create a post, or a new topic/question?

At the top of any forum section, you will see a button called " New Thread "...Click on this to create a new thread in that forum...As per the attached pic...I have pointed a red arrow at the button for ease... :)

new thread.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store