oscars + EBJD, Convicts, Rams and Chinuni. your oppinion please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
going to add a new guy to the tank soon, just wondering, im really interested in:
electric blue jack dempseys
convicts
Rams (possibly)
or Chinuni's

This one (or possibly two i\of them) will be going in a either a 8x2x2 or 6x3x2 tank with 2 juvi oscars, 4 tiger barbs, very fast. two small plecos and 2 small red claw Crays. IM assuming the convict is straight out of the question but i do like those guys.

any experiance with these as tank mats or anything?? wo9uld love to hear from you all with your oppinion!

thankyou.

mr.key

circumambulator
Dec 30, 2007
Certainly rams wouldn't do well with the oscars and the convicts might be too small. I think the EBJD would work if also juvi. I believe the chinuni would be mbuna? if so that requires very different water chemistry (pH 8.0 and hard water) than the rest of your stock (pH 7.0 and medium to soft water).

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Thankyou Mr.Key. yeah they were my first preferance so that works out quite well, i hadnt really done my research yet on water chemistrys and stuff. by the way, your picture made me laugh quite a bit, my mum was just like, 'what are you doing??' lol.
also i thought convicts got quit e big and were aggresive which is why i thouight they were out of the question?? but obviously im fairly new to fish keeping so i must have mistaken them with somtheing else.

thanks again.

mr.key

circumambulator
Dec 30, 2007
Just make sure that you thoroughly research each fish that you want to buy before you buy them. This is a great place to get pointed in the right direction though.

and you are welcome.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I would also wait until you have your new tank set up before adding any more fish.
A convict should be ok, i have one with my oscar and JD.

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
yeah I will definitly wait till i get the new tank. should i introduce them all at the same time or one of them first??
i am going to order in the fish tomoro possibly so I'll talk to the aquarium dude's about what they think an stuff, even though im sure they will be against it an stuff.
I'l probly go with Elec blue Jd but if that all works out fine maybe in a few months i might try a convict, but i heard even though they are small they can be pretty agressive to fish up to 3 x there size. ill give that a lot of though for a while though.

thankyou:)

MacFish

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
photobucket.com
Do your research on the Blue Dempsey. Not an easy fish to keep.

I have seen others keep them with oscars but I would make sure they are bigger than the O's when added. They don't like to be bullied so putting them with larger Oscars is not recommended. If they are larger, the will likely take the dominant role and would have a better chance of standing up to the Oscars even after the O's outgrow them.

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
ok, thanks. Shall be thouroughly researching all my options tomoro, and im going to have a look at the tank i will probly buy, its a 6 by 3 by 2. hopefully its what i want and i'l have it asap!. thanks for the link too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store