Starting a 5 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Well, it's been a while since I posted here. Anyways, I still have a 29g tank, which has undergone a lot. It crashed and I lost everything but a damsel, my hermits and a mushroom. I got it back on track about a week ago, and am in the process of rebuilding.

However, my girlfriend decided to move on to bigger and better things(moved from a 5g to a 10g). So being the good girlfriend she is, she gave me the 5 gallon tank. Now...I could go ahead and be responsible with my money...but I have a free tank just sitting there and it is begging for some action...:rofl:

So, my question to you guys. Is there anything special I should know about starting a tank this small?

I'm not sure what I want to do as far as stocking goes, either. So suggestions would be appreciated.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I think everything is alright if you know what you're doing;cycling, testing, stock

almo75

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Corn fields south of Chicago
Real Name
Al
Only thing that comes to mind is evaporation causing salinity fluctuations on a tank that small. Definitely not an insurmountable obstacle. Let us know what you do with it.
This is stacked on top of what NeonFlux already said of course.

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Yeah. I've heard that a lot about salinity being an issue with such a small tank. Shouldn't be that hard to keep under control, though.

What kind of livestock would go well in this size tank? I've never even really thought about it before now.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
-LeG[A]cY-;1494117 said:
Yeah. I've heard that a lot about salinity being an issue with such a small tank. Shouldn't be that hard to keep under control, though.

What kind of livestock would go well in this size tank? I've never even really thought about it before now.

In tanks this size, your very limited to fish, there are a few which stay very small indeed...If it was mine, i would stick to a few inverts and corals...

And salinity is a small volume of water is an issue, had this issue on my 7 gallon nano....it takes pretty much constant monitoring as param swings in tanks this size happen pretty quickly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store