Shipping Shrimp in Breather Bags-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
well, I personally thank miss J for those cherry shrimp, wow they were healthy, BTW I've lasted breathing in and out of a breather bag for about 20 minutes, yes they definitely work, so I guess that's why they were so healthy

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
well, I personally thank miss J for those cherry shrimp, wow they were healthy, BTW I've lasted breathing in and out of a breather bag for about 20 minutes, yes they definitely work, so I guess that's why they were so healthy
I think it's strange that you actually experimented that on yourself, though I am glad to hear that they do work.
I've received many shipments of shrimp via breather bag. The only time I got a DOA shipment from a breather bag was when adult tiger shrimp were shipped to me. I was aware that they were adults though, because that was what the person had for sale (he was getting rid of his tigers to make room). I don't think it was completely the bag's fault. A majority would probably be the fact that they are adults and adults don't tend to take shipping too well. A second thing is the water volume in the bag was too little to carry 5 adults + 5 or so juvie RCS.
So here's a tip to people who plan on shipping larger shrimp in breather bags. Make sure you have plenty of water and space in there! Large shrimp will definitely need more room to swim around. If the bag is too cramped up, you will end up stressing them.
I think this is a common mistake done by many shippers using breather bags. The fact that you won't need too much water and no need for air space is a good thing, but they forget that water for a "comfortable" space for the inhabitant is also important.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Good to know. I have gotten shrimp in those breather bags and in regular bags. Neither had any deaths, but neither were in the mail for longer than 2 days. I'd think that the breather bags would limit the possibility of error.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
breather bags come in larger sizes but most people just buy the smaller one cause it is good for a few shrimp,..
i have small and larger ones just in case someone wants many shrimp or fish or they are going longer distances

this is the second order i got of them and they seem to be thicker than the first order, don't seem as chintzy......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store