Driftwood in the home aquarium-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
well, i must say the OP did a great job putting the article together, i followed it to a T and have had no problems!

;) hehehe

Soul Chile

AC Members
Dec 2, 2009
Chicago, IL
Awesome post. I look forward to collecting some pieces in the near future and seeing what I can get together. :thm:

AquaticZen

AC Members
Aug 2, 2010
Great post! still nervous about cleaning driftwood thought as its my first time doing it. =( I want some driftwood so bad! lol

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Cleaning is no biggie. Remember.. if wood is easily damaged during cleaning, it may be susceptible to rot in your tank. Be gentle, but firm in scrubbing the pieces.

mchimiak

Piscator
Aug 1, 2010
Florida
I wimped out and just simply bought my piece at the LFS. My small loach swam into a hole and now calls the driftwood home.

The plants in the pic are about a month old on the driftwood.

Salt4Sam

fulltime workaholic
Aug 4, 2010
Philadelphia
New wood looks great!

I read this and went around looking for pieces of wood everywhere i went, hoping to find that perfect piece. Just so happened to find it at a LFS, threw a couple plants at it, and Viola! Tank looks much better, thanks for the great advice, as always sir. :bowing:

utty

Utty
Oct 11, 2010
Minneapolis Mn
www.youtube.com
This is a great article. I have been into collecting wood for my aquariums over the last two days. I found a great source. I found wood that has been sitting in the sun for probably over a decade. It is gray and weighs almost nothing. I boil it and after a few hours it sinks and doesn't leach tannnins. I think because it was so thoroughly sun dried it is easy to prepare. I am going to collect more. The only thing is that it's small. However because it's small I can boil large amounts at one time. I have tried to use driftwood in the past I would say that the most important thing to getting it is how dried out it is. The more dried out the better. The wood I have now is a very hard wood even after its been boiling for hours in salt water.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
I'm currently soaking a large price I found in my pond. It's too large to boil but I will try soak it in a salt water bin :)

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Excellent article. The only thing I've done differently is to use zip ties to anchor a really buoyant piece to rocks in my 20H. It's tougher to hide that fix than silicone or lag bolts and slate, but it's also lots cheaper and faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store