Hi my name is Ashley

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Hi Aquariacentral!

I'm new to the forum, and I thought I would introduce myself. I love all animals, and especially fish! I am pretty familiar with freshwater fish husbandry, however this is the first time I've kept a planted tank. I have a 20 gallon high planted tank, and plan to set up fairly soon a 6.6 gallon long, 2 5gallons and a ten gallon. My 20gal has 15 or so yellow freshwater shrimp, 2 bumblebee horned snails and a bunch of pond snails. It has a sponge filter. The plants include: Onion plant, java moss, broadleaf anubias, anarchis, some type of red crypt, 3 marimo balls, duckweed and a tall bushy plant. I plan to put marigold wag platies in it as well.

I am over run with pond snails, and I love the critters too much to kill them, so I plan to corral as many as possible into one of the 5 gallon tanks, along with any excess of plants. The 6.6 long tank is going to house a betta (anyone have any for sale?) along with excess plants. I will wait and see how the platies interact with the shrimp to see if I need to separate them into the other remaining tanks. (The other tanks could serve as platy and shrimp fry grow out tanks if the little buddies don't do so well in the main 20 gallon)

The 20 gallon: (note this picture was taken before I replaced the existing filter with the sponge filter. The old filter created too much current and my little shrimps were having a hard time swimming around. The sponge filter is a lot easier on them. Plus it acts as a buffet and they eat little particles off of it all day--it's too cute!)

You can see my two horned bumble bee snails. Their names are Pedroxh (silent xh) and Sidecar. There is a yellow shrimp in the corner of the picture. His name is Elvis (He's the biggest and the "king" of the tank)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name