DIY : 24/7 New Water Drip System-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I knew I had seen this thread before. It took me a while to find it.

Here is my question.

Is the overflow the only thing keeping water from over flowing? Is there a back up system if the overflow clogs?

I want to run something like this, but just run striaght from my water line (I have a well) thru an inline heater, into my tank and then have two over-flows. I really don't think I need to age the water in a barrel and would skip that step. I would use a line like for an ice maker and would have it so it would add 10% - 15% daily. I would have the overflows run outside.

I can get water into the tank, it is getting it out that is my concern. Maybe I could have some sort of float switch and a submerged pump incase of high level, but if it is not needed and the overflows handle it then I will be fine.

Do the over flows fail? Does this system have a fail safe if the over flows fail?

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
And how is this set-up working out? Any issues?

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2005
VA-DC-MD
there are many ways to overflowing... nothing is fail safe.. which is why we do maintenance on them when you clean your tank...

the only problem i have is the air bubbble breaking the siphon.

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I think I am going to go for it. I will post pictures once done.

My plan is to have two overflows. I will have a valve (which I can use to adjust flow also) and just run it while someone is home. I will be sure to have the heater on some sort of switch. Maybe I can run it all of the time once I gain confidence in the dual overflows.

I will still be doing substrate cleaning, but maybe not as much and at that point I will inspect and clean the overflows. I will have to keep an eye on air bubbles in the overflow. Since I am not using the overflow to filter the water, I think I can run this without a sponge in the overflow. Lots depend on the noise it makes. I will measure the outbound water to figure out my gph. I will still run some sort of fitration, most likely canisters.

Since I am on a well I don't plan on treating the water.

It will be like this:

Well Water -> Valve -> Heater -> Tank -> Overflows -> Flowerbed

naturegrl

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
That sounds like quite the project. Can't wait to see the progress and pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store