DIY CO2 basics (and some not-so-basics)-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Deanthoreu

its: Dean Thoreau
Mar 11, 2009
near Philadelphia
article i read and use is 1/2 tsp yeast 2 cups sugar...
they say will last 3 weeks with shaking every 3 days....and i toss in a flintstones multivitamin every 3 days ( grand kid didnt like them but the 2 litre soda bottle yeast reactor does ) and it has lasted me about 5 weeks and counting so far now that i am tossing vitamins.

i followed the instx on www.plantedtank.net

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
Nice Article.

On the way to work I was actually thinking....

I wonder if I can brew some beer AND have a CO2 reactor all in one shot.:evil_lol:

I may give it a try, once I know more about planting tanks.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
No reason not to. I would strongly recommend using a gas separator though - I have had several ferments get pretty vigorous and foam out of the airlock. Wouldn't want that stuff ending up in the tank.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
OK so for a 2l bottle, 2.5 cups of sugar and 3/4 tsp of yeast. Fill the bottle how much water? and i'll be mixing in some vitaminwater that i don't personally care for!

Mike

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
OK so for a 2l bottle, 2.5 cups of sugar and 3/4 tsp of yeast. Fill the bottle how much water? and i'll be mixing in some vitaminwater that i don't personally care for!

Mike
I usually go for the following:
Add all the other ingredients, then top up with water until the bit where the bottle starts to slope inwards. Good luck!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yep, thats about how much I fill it as well.

Be careful with prepackaged juices like vitamin water - they can contain preservatives that can inhibit yeast growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store