Extensive African Dwarf Frog Article - Revised-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zauerb90

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
My girlfriend and I recently bought an 'FrogOSphere' with two little african dwarf frogs included. She called me in panic mode explaining that the frogs were "taking chunks out of each other". I told her that they often shed, and asked her if either of the frogs looked or acted as if they were wounded and she said that they both were looking and acting fine. Again, I know that they shed, but has anyone ever heard of the frogs eating each other's dead skin? Please help, she is getting frightened :( Thank you!

flower81

AC Members
Sep 1, 2009
Newberg. Oregon
My son has 2 and his like to "help" each other and will pull on the extra skin to get it off.no harm done. But it does look kinda weird when you see it the first time.

zauerb90

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Thank you for the re-assurance! Im glad that the frogs are not cannibalizing one another.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Sorry, but bloodworms are actually not a great food source for them. While they can be offered once in a while, or used as a treat, they don't contain enough protein to suffice as a main food item.

Meaty foods are best for them but you have to be careful with what raw fish flesh you provide them to eat because some fish contain thiaminase which can lead to a thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I was told not to give them mammal proteins since they don't eat any in the wild. They eat insects and tiny fish in the wild.

froglover223

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2011
Hi there!

My African dwarf frog, Boone, is about two and a half years old. He's very healthy and I've had no reason for concern until the other night. When I went to check on him, I noticed that his right hand was missing. I searched in the tank (a small tank, no other frogs or fish share it) and couldn't find it...I'm very concerned about him. Is this a common thing?

Please help!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store