green spotted puffer food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
today i bought a little green spotted puffer (I dont feel like writing out the whole story right now) and he was completely emaciated, so i was very pleased when he gobbled up some mosquito larvae. are mosquito larvae ok for it to eat? I just dont want to have any problems with him

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
They also eat bloodworms, snails, krill, and other puffer foods. They cannot resist earthworms. It's good he's eating. Are you planning on treating him for IPs?

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
thanks for the quick reply. I think i might treat him for parasites, he was in pretty rough shape. i have him in a tiny(3 gallon) QT tank now. Hes doing much better now. Its a pretty sad story how i got him, and i feel really stupid for it. I went to walmart with my mom to get something. I try to avoid walmart, but i went to help out my mom. I walked by the fish tanks, which always makes me feel awful, and this time i saw this tiny little puffer in a disgusting tank. he was starved and i felt terrible for him, and when i watched the worker dump in some crappy flaked food, i couldnt help myself. he was in fresh water so im going to acclimate him to brackish. I still feel really stupid for buying it from walmart but i just felt so bad for it

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
thanks for the quick reply. I think i might treat him for parasites, he was in pretty rough shape. i have him in a tiny(3 gallon) QT tank now. Hes doing much better now. Its a pretty sad story how i got him, and i feel really stupid for it. I went to walmart with my mom to get something. I try to avoid walmart, but i went to help out my mom. I walked by the fish tanks, which always makes me feel awful, and this time i saw this tiny little puffer in a disgusting tank. he was starved and i felt terrible for him, and when i watched the worker dump in some crappy flaked food, i couldnt help myself. he was in fresh water so im going to acclimate him to brackish. I still feel really stupid for buying it from walmart but i just felt so bad for it
I don't want to get off topic here, but I would just like to point out that you just gave money to a store that let fish get that bad in the first place, and, since they are making money on GSPs, they will probably get more. Anyway, since he's still small, keep him in fresh and try to get him to eat. Try and get him into at least a 10G if possible. I've never actually treated for IPs, so someone else needs to step up here. Try to ket him stable and eating.

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
I know very well how buying it is simply encouraging them to continue selling fish, and i always told people never to buy fish from there, and i hardly ever buy anything there at all, but i just couldnt let it die when i knew i might be able to help it. so yes I know how stupid it was

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
I know very well how buying it is simply encouraging them to continue selling fish, and i always told people never to buy fish from there, and i hardly ever buy anything there at all, but i just couldnt let it die when i knew i might be able to help it. so yes I know how stupid it was
Alright, Alright, don't be so hard on yourself. Fish fanatics can't help but save a fish. What future plans do you have for it?

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
im going to try to get it in a bigger tank as soon as possible. my friend has an empty 10 in his basement, so i might pick that up or just get a new basic 10 or 20. then ill aclimate him to brackish slowly. in the meantime i will keep the small tank as clean as possible and fatten him up. do you have any tips for treatment of internal parasites? i will probably treat him just in case. do you know if he will eat freeze dried foods? thanks again for your help
Nick

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
Check out The Puffer Forum. I don't know that much about GSPs to be honest with you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store