full scale breeding setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

breaker87

AC Members
Jul 24, 2003
aussie
Visit site
hi all,
i have a shed in my backyard that is approximately 5m wide X 8m long X 2.5 metres (wall height). i am intending to fully deck it out with tanks for breeding purposes. i would start breeding cichlids but will soon move into clownfish and other marine species.
it will be fully insulated and already has a solid concrete floor.

i was also thinking about having a couple of 6x2x2's and 4x2x2's as fry tanks on black metal stands (i hate wood stands from experience).

my question is, what would be the best filters and setup for an area like that and the approximate size of each tank?

thanks,

breaker87

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
how many tanks and what size do you want. a lot of people use sponge filters for breeders. If you get all the tanks at the same level you can go with a central filter but you can spread diseases that way. When i get mine set up i am going to have about 20 20 gallon tanks in a row and they are going to all overflow into a long trough underneath that has a couple sheets of mech. filter pads and then it is going to get pumped into another trough above all the tanks that is filled with bioballs and they will have hoses to flow water back to each tank. i have a diagram somewhere and i can email it to you if you want, its for my whole fish room. my setup is overload but its because i am crazy and spend all my money on fish or birds. -john

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
public sumps mean public disease. shared filters among several tanks means you share the problems and the water chemistry. grouping your tanks among several distinct sumps or canisters is a much better idea.
good luck
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store