Tank Stocking Options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ackrite203

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2007
First of all let me start by saying I'm new to the hobby. I currently have a 75 gallon tank setup with 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Zebra, 2 Kenyii, and 1 Electric Blue Johanni all about 1-2in. I want to add 2 more Kenyii, 2 or 3 labs, 1Y ellow Tail Acei, and possibly 1 Auratus ( which I know can be extremely aggressive). Two part question -1 will the tank be overstocked if new fish added -2 will I run into any compatiblilty issues?

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
I don't think the tank would be overstocked or you would have compatibility issues with those additions. Mbuna species is one that you can crowd and get away with it, in fact it usually works better because it spreads out the aggression. Just make sure you have plenty of rockwork in the tank so they can get away from each other if need be.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
If it was up to me, I'd do 4 groups of 4 fish (1 male/3 females) rather than have single of 1 specie in with the group, to curb the aggression. And would skip on auratus as you'd need a right amount of females for a single male to avoid him reaking havoc when it matures.

As far as stocking, you should be good, I'd say you can have up to 20 mbuna in your 75, just make sure your filtration is on up and up with that bioload.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store