Rabbit droppings for plant food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andrewcollier

AC Members
Dec 13, 2006
A friend of mine has said he was recommended by a RETAILER to use Rabbit droppings for plant food. They are supposed to contain all the trace elements needed for a healthy tank. I understand rabbits eat their droppings after their exit 1st and 2nd times to gain nutrients but on 3rd time they leave them. These are the ones to use as they will contain less ammonia.

I have wondered if they are taken from a hutch, they may be best soaked in water as they will have been sprayed with urine.

If they are taken from the wild the 3rd time ones are probably lighter(?)

He suggested they should be placed every 10cm in the tank, but I have not used them in mine yet

I imagine this will generate some interesting replies. I look forward to seeing them.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
so now everyone with a planted tank will have to have a rabbit as well?? lol or better yet who will be the first to sell rabbit droppings, nice and fresh ones lol

j/k

I never heard of this and not sure why people would use it in a fish tank. In the garden i understand but adding them to the aquarium adds on to the bioload and introduces who knows what into the tank..
Ill stick with regular flourish than having to pick through/soak some poop lol
But thats just my 2 cents..

bettalover

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
not as gross as you think. i have 2 bunnies of my own. i might try this sometimes.

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
I' m guessing there is some confussion here. Rabbit droppings for plant food "yes", but not in a fish tank. Lots of animals eat their droppings, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to put them in your tank!

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
I think I will stick with my powders. I don't want to think of what could be growing on that kind of fertilizer. Just not worth risking my fish and plants to save a dollars.
I am with RICH on this one. I have worked and spent way to much time and money on my tank to try rabbit poop.
I could see it now I add poop and some slimy lil parasite that likes my fish:eek3:.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Interesting.. As well as thinking out side of the box. Try it on a test tank would be my suggestion. After you get past the initial gross factor, which to me it really isnt, one starts to wonder what the difference in rabbit poop and fish poop is. Will parasites, if there are any in it, live in the water , and if so will they effect the fish or you? I dont see how it would add to the nitrogen cycle any more than reg fertilizers would, and for that matter, your bio fillter could grow to accomidate this. Lots of questions and possibilities. Make sure you research in depth first..as of now, I see no reason why it cannot be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store