Electric Blue Jack Dempsey!! and new tank. and a few Q's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
I finally got my hands on an electric blue jack dempsey!! he is apparentlyu aprox 3 cntrmetres in length at themoment, and getting ordered in. shall have him in a fortnight!! can't wait.

AANNDD i managed to get a new tank But was not the size i wanted. but the deal was too good to pass up so i got myself a 5 by 3 by 2 footer whichwill hold two oscars, ebjd(eventullay, im keeping him on his own till he is a bit bigger and stronger!), 2 small plecos, 4 tiger barbs and a small cray fish for about 8 to 12 months (all fish juvies) and then i will have saved up enough to hopefully get something like a 8 by 3 by 3 tank. that would be amazing!!

Few questions id like to ask if anyone feels like helping me.
In your oppinion:::
1 what would be the best temp for an ebjd to bring out the best colour and keep him healthy?

2 which kind of lighting would you use to make sure he developes his colour well?

3 besides colour flake and food, is there any food's which will boost his growth and colour development naturally?

4 untill he reaches about 4 to 5 inches i will be keeping him in a seperate tank, i cant afford to big but dont want him to mis out on growing to his best capacity, what size tank would be best till he's bigger?

5 what is the best water conditions ie: hard or soft water? nitrite and nitrate levels, etc etc...???

Last edited:

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
1 what would be the best temp for an ebjd to bring out the best colour and keep him healthy? 77 - 78f

2 which kind of lighting would you use to make sure he developes his colour well? I use 10,000k t5 lighting and really like how it brings out the colours of the fish.

3 besides colour flake and food, is there any food's which will boost his growth and colour development naturally? Beef hart and other frozen foods.

4 untill he reaches about 4 to 5 inches i will be keeping him in a seperate tank, i cant afford to big but dont want him to mis out on growing to his best capacity, what size tank would be best till he's bigger? IMO a 30 - 40g growout tank should be fine.

5 what is the best water conditions ie: hard or soft water? nitrite and nitrate levels, etc etc...??? Nitrite should always be 0 and i don't let my nitrate ever go above 20ppm.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store