White spots on Pectoral fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBaby

Senior Member with Senior Moments
Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
My betta has what looks like tiny "white fluffs" on his pectoral fins. Not many. Maybe 2 or three on each. Could this be ich? Can a fish get ich only on its pectoral fins and nowhere else?

I had been having a problem with nitrites lately, but not as of today (0ppm).

Temp 80
pH 7.6-7.8
Ammonia None (but it was > last week)

He does "trim his tail", but not his fins, and they do not look like they are disappearing or rotting.

Any Clues??

Fishskin

AC Members
Jul 5, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
I can't answer the question, but I can add to it. My Betta has had white "bumps" less than 1mm each on his pectoral fines for over two months. He is in a small community tank and none of the other fish is sick. The bumps, 2 or 3 on each fin do seem to change slightly in size or number. It is not ich and not velvet..but I do not know what it is. All the fish, including the betta, are behaving in an absolutely normal manner. To me they are analogous to warts ( I'm a dermatologist, so what else would I think ). Seriously, this must be common, but I cannot identify it nor could a thread on another fish forum. It has not spread anywhere else on the betta. My water parameters are perfect, nitrates less than 10 and the tank has been stable for months. The bumps are somewhat larger and more bumpy than ich.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by WaterBaby
My betta has what looks like tiny "white fluffs" on his pectoral fins. Not many. Maybe 2 or three on each. Could this be ich? Can a fish get ich only on its pectoral fins and nowhere else?
White fluffs aren't ich...I sense Saprolegnia spp. fungus from injuries in combination with a weakened immune system...Google Saprolegnia and see if that's it...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I agree that the 'fluff' is not likely ich. Ich is normally seen first on the main body of the fish, but it can appear on any part of the fish. Fluff sounds more like a bacterial infection, especially since it is on the fins. Bettas are prone to torn fins, which often become infected. If you confirm this, I would treat with an antibiotic, since these infections can be lethal, and contagious to other fish.

For small, irregular bumps that do not change in size, texture or color, it is possible that they are tubercles. Many fish develop these during spawning season, and in some they never completely disappear. As long as they are not causing the fish problems and do not change, I wouldn't worry much other than to monitor them.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
ChilDawg--

Found this site:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/fungus.htm

I don't think that's what he has.

OG--

All the sites I found surfing say that this is common in Goldfish... I tried to look for anything that says that Bettas get them too, but couldn't find any. The sites also say that they get them on their heads, gill plates and pectoral fins (in rows). My betta only has them on his pectoral fins. He did just start making a bubblenest since water parameters stabilized.

I might add that they are on the "inside" of his pectoral fins. None are on the outside. Strange......

Fishskin--

Sounds alot like my betta. Can't find anything else on it..

I don't want to medicate if I don't have to. He seems fine otherwise.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I looked.... Every one I read says that goldfish get them. I don't know about bettas.....Can't find anything....

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I'll try.............might take awhile..............

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store