Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse - peeling skin?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
My wrasse appears to be shedding skin on one side towards the back half of his body. It looks exactly like when you have a sunburn and your skin has turned white and started peeling away. Any ideas? Nothing I find online really sounds right. He had been hovering near the surface some today, and staying hidden a lot, but I saw him eat this morning when I fed the tank. I just put some prime reef flakes in and he didn't come out for it though. Of course, he's in the main tank and my hospital tank is occupied with a couple of fish that were in my nano I'm treating for Ich. I haven't shared equipment and the other sick fish were never in the big tank the wrasse is in. I've had him for a week and he's been eating and active until today. Go ahead, lemme have it. :nono::headshake2:

ETA: okay, got a closer look at him just now, he does have some white spots on his back above where the peeling is. He's also peeling some on the other side. Is this Ich? Or could it be something else with the peeling? IF I can catch him, can I just drop him into the hospital with the other 2? I'm doing hyposalinity in it with copper.

Please go easy on me. I'm near tears now. First I had a bad coral swap the other day and I've been dealing with ich in my nano fish already and now this....

Last edited:

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
aw annette im sorry to hear this. the only thing i can really say, is that when i had my orange-back fairy wrasse at one time he had what looked like a hazy patch on the back half of his body on one side. it eventually went away. of course this is also the fish that mysteriously up and died when i was on vacation so who knows..? if you put him in ISO he'll get ick for sure, but at least the fish in your DT stand a better shot if he does infact have something going on. of course it could be nothing but it is a big risk to be sure...

strickrick

AC Members
Dec 6, 2007
Can you list the parameters of the tank? My fairy wrasse and royal grammas both used to get a hazy white film on their bodies and scratch themselves off the rocks when my alkalinity was too high. Does your little guy do this also?

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
It sounds like it could be brook. have you looked up pictures of that? the whole peeling skin deal sounds like excess mucus production.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
haven't had time to do any tests today, but my Ca and kH are always on the high side. I think kH was 12 the last time I tested it, but that's been a couple weeks. Anyway, I had to go hunting in my tank this morning for a ricordea that had blown off a rock it was on last night. I noticed that the wrasse was just sitting on the bottom so I actually was able to catch him - wayyy too easily - and moved him into the hospital tank. I don't have another tank to set up a separate one, so that's the best I can do right now. He's been laying on his side breathing fast all day. I hope he makes it. I looked up pictures and descriptions of Brooklynella and it sortof fits, but not really because it doesn't appear to have covered his gills. Plus he has the white specs which look like ich.

Amazingly enough, the other two fish in their are doing better today. Not sure if I should go ahead and move them back into the nano or leave them be. I'm trying to let it run fallow for a month to make sure all the ich is gone.

Anyway, lesson learned. The hard way. :wall: Won't be getting any new fish for a while and I'm looking up the things I need to do to new corals before introducing them, but probably won't be getting anything new at all for a while anyway. Except light bulbs.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
poor lil guy died last night. I probably doomed him when I removed him from the main tank, but I was too worried about leaving him there and getting all my other fish sick. I've had most of them since February and March now and they're all so happy and healthy, I just didn't want to risk it.

Annette
The Poster Child for QTing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store