38 Gallon Stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wisegy84

Brunettes not fighter jets!
Aug 21, 2007
Suisun City, CA
Real Name
Don
I am going to be moving soon and it will be too far to take the fish I currently have with me. I will be donating the fish to the my LFS before I leave. Once I get settled into the new house I want to set my tanks back up, but I am interested in other stocking options. I have a 38 Gallon and a 10 Gallon. I will likely do a betta and possibly a few pygmy cories in the 10 gallon. In the past I have mostly kept tetras and cories in the 38, but I have had platys, rainbow fish, guppies, and loaches. I am just curious what kind of options I have. For example, I am interested in an angelfish (likely just one due to the size of the tank, but I am not sure if this is OK). But if I go that route, what could I keep with the angel? Just cories? I am open to any suggestions, so feel free. Thanks very much in advance.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
For a 38g, I'd keep only one angelfish along with harlequin rasboras, kuhli loaches, corydoras, diamond tetras and Columbian tetras.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
An angel would be great! There are many fish that will compliment them. Some hachets maybe?

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
small tetras will become lunch to an angel once it grows. mine doesn't actually eat them but he/she kills them for fun..grr..

Wisegy84

Brunettes not fighter jets!
Aug 21, 2007
Suisun City, CA
Real Name
Don
Thanks for the suggestions. Also, since I will probably end up going with a setup with an angel as the centerpiece, do angels do OK with sand? I was considering changing to sand instead of gravel after I move, but it isn't necessary. And what about cories and sand?

Thanks again!

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Cories LOVE sand. Mine sift thru it all day...relatively easy to clean too - all the gunk stays on top where you can vac it up; unlike gravel where the gunk works its way all the down....Yuk!

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
BTW, red eye tetras are pretty large for a tetra, so no snackies for the angel! and they are also really pretty........

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Or how about an African community, a pair of African butterfly cichlids and 8 Congo tetras looks really nice. And maybe a small african catfish for the bottom.

This is what I'm going with if I grab a 37gal in the next week or two. Or might even wait on getting a 40 breeder during petco's sale if I happen to wait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store