Kribensis - are they mellow enough?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linden

A box of animals way off the ground
Jun 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I have two tanks - my new 75-gallon holds the meanies. I am morphing my 55- gallon into the peaceful tank. I want to add another "showy" fish to my mellow tank.

I am curious about Kribs. On the web, I have read contradictory things about their behavior.

Here is what I have in the 55-gallon now: 2 bristlenose cats (Ancistrus - one 7+years old and the other a few years old), 2 Farlowellas, 8 pink cories (aeneus), 3 red rainbows (1 mature male and a brand new pair of juvies), 5 mature rasboras, a couple of young platies and few khuli (look like robust earthworms) loaches.

Would Kribensis be a good fit here? Are they strict bottom dwellers, and if so, would they aggress against the cories?

A kind of unrelated note: I understand Kribs need caves, I am happy to add caves. Can I stick a little cave higher in the tank? By stick, I mean is there a good way to affix a cave up high on my wood? I think it would look cute if a fish actually used it. Would I use aquarium goo (does it work wet-on-wet?) or just a fastener of some sort?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Kribs should be fine there. It is only during spawning season, they may not be. They live on the bottom most of the time however they will swim around the upper levels in search for foods.

Linden

Jun 11, 2006
Minneapolis
What's a good number to start with in my tank? I called my LFS a bit ago and they have some in stock (AND they are open on July 4). I was thinking of starting with two to see if they do well. Would that be OK, or would it create psycho fish?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What's a good number to start with in my tank? I called my LFS a bit ago and they have some in stock (AND they are open on July 4). I was thinking of starting with two to see if they do well. Would that be OK, or would it create psycho fish?
One is usually fine by itself. Two can work. Kribs are secret spawners so providing plenty of caves and plants should minimize too much aggression. They usually spawn in community setups without too much issues provided they have plenty of territories around.

waterwitch

one more can't hurt...
May 28, 2008
PA
www.TooManyTanks.com
Get one or get a pair. Two females will fight and two males will fight. (A pair might fight too, but usually the female can win the male over)

I breed kribs. While they are normally a little aggressive in defending territory, they usually don't bother upper level fish too much. I have guppies and female bettas in mine. And a few ABNs. But I have one female that will not allow another female krib in "her" tank. Fortunately, she's my best breeder.

Last edited:

Aaron89

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
England
One is usually fine by itself. Two can work. Kribs are secret spawners so providing plenty of caves and plants should minimize too much aggression. They usually spawn in community setups without too much issues provided they have plenty of territories around.
But all catfish and loaches will eat the spawn and depending on the size they will force the kribs aside to eat the spawn.

Start with a pair, male and female this keeps them active and usually leave other fish alone apart from feeding times when they can sometimes "bully" other fish for food but if you feed the fish using the tanks width this shouldnt happen

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Are you completely set on Kribs? You could get other semi-freindly "centerpiece" fish for your community tank. Severum, Gourami, Apistos, Flag Cichlid are a few that come to mind.

Aaron89

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
England
I forgot these ones. Good point.:)
:p haha never mind.

@Thread:

Kribs are cool, have awsome colourings and good personalities, my 2 which i have had for 18 months just died and i miss them, one i get my tank replaced by Juwel i shall consider getting 2 or 4 more and having them in my small "hospital/temp" tank.

Linden

Jun 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Reddog, thanks for the suggestions. I am not really set on the kribs; I was just looking for something non-rainbow-like (my other eventually-to-glam fish are the trio of rainbows). I did a quick google and I love the look of the Dwarf flags, apistos and Severum.

My tapwater has high pH. I add buffer, but not enough to get it below 7.0. Any ideas out there as to the best match (Kribs, Dwarf flags, apistos or Severum)? I'm lazy - spare me the research, please!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store