Aquatic Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fcnubian

AC Members
Jul 1, 2008
How beneficial are aquatic plants?

While looking at fish, I also looked at some plants to. Trying to decide if I should go with the real kind or the fake kind.

I really like the Alternanthera reineckii. The info on Petco says it'll get to 20". Thats right at the top of my aquarium. Does that mean I wont be able to get that kind?
There are a couple others I like to but they also get to 20".

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Aquatic plants tend to consume nitrates thus improving the water quality however this does not mean you can use it as compensation from water changes. You still have to do water changes regardless.

Plants can be cut away if they grow too tall. Always place tall tanks at the back so they won't obscure your visual effects. Most plants are grown b cutting, rhizome, etc. What plants do you wish to start with? Low lighting, medium or high? Low lighting ones serve a good start. Stick with Nymphaea lotus, hygrophilas, Java moss, Java ferns, anubias, Elodea densa and hornworts.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The only true beneficial use of plants is that it makes the tank look nice, For it to be very beneficial there "MUST" be lots of plants.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Live plants offer many benefits. The one caveat is they dont work well with plant eating fish.

1. They remove ammonia (etc) as well or better than bacteria.
2. They suppliment 0xygen during the day.
3. They provide hiding places for fish, especially fry.
4. They are often a spawning medium/surface.
5. They can remove other undesired things from the water.
6. They look good in a tank.
7. They can be food for some fish who are omnivorous.
8. They propagate and therefore can provide plants for new/other tanks. (Plastic/silk plants don't reproduce.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store