Modifying HOB filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

irishlynchs

Registered Member
Jul 3, 2008
I just ran across a Cascade 150 HOB filter and was wondering if anyone thought of or has ever heard of anyone modifying it as a biofilter with some type of media and maybe a airstone?

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I just ran across a Cascade 150 HOB filter and was wondering if anyone thought of or has ever heard of anyone modifying it as a biofilter with some type of media and maybe a airstone?
il:

I really do not understand your question as the Cascade 150 has biological filtration media and what would be airstone be utilized for?

TR

irishlynchs

Registered Member
Jul 3, 2008
I was thinking about just using the sponge it came with and some bio-media that has a large surface area like sea chem produces as I already have a canister for the other filter needs I was just looking into use this as a biological filter only without any activated carbon. Just thought it might boost the biological side of filtration and ease the load some especially when cleaning and putting new media in my other filter. Just looking for input and idea from fellow fish enthusiast.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
... I was just looking into use this as a biological filter only without any activated carbon. Just thought it might boost the biological side of filtration and ease the load some especially when cleaning and putting new media in my other filter. Just looking for input and idea from fellow fish enthusiast.
Yes. It will increase the biological filtration capacity of the ecosystem.

TR

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store