intake from pump is bringing in massive amouns of bubbles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I just got everything up and running in my tank and I have a few issues. My return pump is shooting in massive bubbles. Im not sure if its because I just have it coming straight down out of the pvc or something else. I noticed in pics that most tanks seem to have a black cone shaped thing on their returns, which im not sure exactly what it does.

Secondly, I also have some really loud noises. I cant pinpoint them but i think its coming from where the pvc on the overflows dumps into the sump. It seems to sort of spurt out, making a loud noise with each spurt. I have a thread in they diy section about this but i figured i might as well include it here too, incase someone with the knowledge doesnt frequent there.

Ive included a link to a quick video I just made, it shows the bubbles and it may also have the noisey sound. (im not sure because im near the tank so I cant tell if its on the vid or not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ0ZKGzS39E

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Where is your return pump located? It also appears that it is returning quite deep into the display.. which could be an issue if you loose power. I would say either air is being sucked directly into the return pump because the water lever is too low, or there is a hole in the pcv or return line somewhere sucking in air.. either way you will need to isolate it.

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
my pump is pretty much directly below where the bubbles are in the pic, if thats what you mean anyway. the pvc pretty much runs straight up the back. and its submerged fully underwater, i do have a small leak in the pvc which im working on fixing, but its very small. could that be the issue tho?

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
is there an air stone or some sort of air source on the right side?

Also - check to make sure your water level is over the intake on your pump.
if the water is low you can get an air bubble storm that looks real shocking ...

It almost sounds like that is what is happening. You are drawing air into the system.

As for the little basket on the end where the water is entering your sump ... that helps keep huge stuff from clogging up the intake.

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
the water level is well over the intake, the entire pump itself is comfortably submerged. and no, no airstones of any kind in the tank at all.

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
other than the few small leaks im still trying to get sealed, there isnt anything. i mean if i had a crack id know because id have water coming out.

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
it better not be, is brand new. tanks been oing for 2 days and it has been a bubble monster since the first moment

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store