MY SNAILS HAVE WEAK SHELLS HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
so, I was just setting up my new tank, suddenly I noticed my snails had weak shells, I just lightly touched and all of a sudden I heard a lil crack... HELP

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
they're Briggs and the PH is about 8.3 I think... and I'm using plaster of paris(the kind you get from walmart[the big bucket]) I think it's working... also... I was at petsmart today... and I saw some crushed coral but.I don't know how to get the salt out of it...

Fishy_Fun

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Oregon
Salt out of it?Just rinse and add to the tank.There is no salt in the crushed coral.is it the old growth thats brittle or the whole shell?i'm thinking since your PH is within range you just need to feed them some calcium which you can do with some snails jello.There is a recipe stickied at the top of the page you should check it out

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
you mean msjinkzd's

EDIT: actually it's the new parts that are brittle... there's a whole ring of difference :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
whats the temp? if its on the high side it will increase growth and the shell wont harden enough in time for more growth. feed a cacium rich diet and put a cuttlebone in.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Even i have to ask why do you use cuttlebone?i have never used it in my snail tank and they seem fine
Your experience will vary with the others. Cuttlefish bone is optional as there are other ways to build up the shell. It is often recommended just to ensure the shells do not erode further due to lack of calcium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store