Best substrate to use in a tank with African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I have 2 tanks;both are over 100 gal. One tank has a 350 magnum filter and 2 small side filters. The other tank has a bioball filtration system. That tank has crushed coral in it. The first tank I mentioned has aquarium gravel in it. Both tanks have african cichlids in them. I was thinking of changing the substrate in one or both tanks. Would sand be all right to use in a tank of that size with the africans? I get tired of all of the digging they do in the tanks. I am sure they probably would dig some still, but maybe not as bad? And even though I clean and do reg. water changes, that white crushed coral has a habit of looking stained and dirty. Just curious what you think.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Sand is fine.

I use crushed coral myself - not had a problem with it in fact I really like it.

There are nice black options - tahitian moon sand - which look sharp.

You can basically use anything you like, bearing in mind the latter two for example will raise Ph, but I like to make sure its something they can dig around in.

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
Hobbyist can tell you what they themselves have & prefer, but it's a judgement call as to what is the BEST.

There are many people turning from the smallest natural graval to crushed coral substrate to sand, black moon sand, 3M T Quartz, Pool Filter Sand etc....

....& in the final analysis it going to be about what YOU decide to try that YOU will like.

I'm doing crushed coral right now b/c it has a duel application in my tank as substrate, but also aids in keeping my pH up. In the near future I'm plannig on changing over to either pool sand or some other form of sand, b/c I like how it looks & it seems to be acceptable to African Cichlids.

ljx

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I use riverbed sized gravel. The stones are well rounded even though slightly large. My Africans seems to have very little trouble moving them around to create a nest It is not that I have any preference but free substrate is hard to turn down.

MiramichiMob

AC Members
Aug 6, 2007
Miramichi, NB, Canada
I just use play sand myself,,,about $5 a bag. Cichlids love to dig in it,,,but it is kind of fine,,so if you have HOB's,,cover or raise the intake. Don't mean to hijack a thread,,but quick question about crushed coral,,,If I put a couple of small mesh bags of it hidden in the tank,,or a small mesh bag in my HOB,,will this raise my ph? If so,will it raise it as much as if I had CC for substrate?,I am around low 7's right now,,but would like it a bit higher to see if it brings out my colors in my fish.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Hobbyist can tell you what they themselves have & prefer, but it's a judgement call as to what is the BEST.

There are many people turning from the smallest natural graval to crushed coral substrate to sand, black moon sand, 3M T Quartz, Pool Filter Sand etc....

....& in the final analysis it going to be about what YOU decide to try that YOU will like.

I'm doing crushed coral right now b/c it has a duel application in my tank as substrate, but also aids in keeping my pH up. In the near future I'm plannig on changing over to either pool sand or some other form of sand, b/c I like how it looks & it seems to be acceptable to African Cichlids.

ljx
I agree and have nothing else to add. just go with what u like

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store