sick hammer coral?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
We have had a pink hammer coral for about 2-3 months. It acclimated well. It has recently shown signs of growth by adding "polyps" to the five branches it has. (I'm not sure polyps is the correct term for the soft hammer pieces). Yesterday the "polyps" on one branch shriveled up and today they fell off. Tonight the "polyps" on another branch seem to be somewhat shriveled. We also have a green hammer and it is not showing any unusual signs. Our 2 red gorgonia also appear healthy putting out their filters in full force a couple of times a day. All water parameters are excellent--no ammonia, nitrites. Ph 8.0, nitrate 20ppm, alkalinity 3.5. Calcium is still low--340 . I am working on that.None of the crabs or snails bother the corals. We also have a flame angel, but he has not shown any signs of bothering the corals either. Any ideas as to what the problem may be and how to correct the situation would be appreciated.

Ken b

AC Members
Mar 20, 1999
Wakefield, Ma.
It could be that an infection from an injury is resposible for the lost polyp. It's anyone's guess.

We also have a flame angel, but he has not shown any signs of bothering the corals either.
Don't bet on it. Unless you can watch the tank 24/7 you won't know.

None of the crabs or snails bother the corals.
Tha snails wouldn't bother them,but as far as crabs go, they are opportunistic omnivores.None are true vegetarians. I would not have crabs of any type in a reef tank.

Your PH needs to come up too. Around 8.2 -8.3 during the photoperiod would be ideal.

No ammonia or nitrite are also good ,but high nitrate and phosphate will inhibit polyp expansion as well.

Alkalinity could come up to 4 ppm and Ca up to about 400

Just my $.02

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store